Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Red Spruce vs Maple

jw3571

I'm considering purchasing HB. On Wildwood's site they have limited edition red spruce/hog that looks interesting. They also have one of the quilted maple/sitka versions. My concerns are, I already have a Original Jumbo 1934 reissue that's adi/hog, will the HB with the same combo sound really close to it or being a bird will it sound quite different. The maple worries me a little as the maple guitars i've played before never really have that punch i'm after. I won't be able to play either of them, opinions?

That's the problem with not being able to play it first.

If you are shopping online, you are just going by looks and price. So, buy the one that looks the best?

Regardless of my smart-azz reply there, It's REALLY hard to be able to describe a "sound" to a guy that has no experience with it. Your experience mentioned above about Maple guitars will be better than one's description, I think.

I guess I would GUESS red spruce/hog is a winner...but again, that's just a recipe. Doesn't mean the guitar itself will be great, or great in MY eyes...um..ears.

How would the red spruce affect the tone compared to the sitka top? I assume it may make it louder and more responsive? It wouldn't get rid of the classic hummingbird sound would it/

No it will not. I've had many birds and also own a 2013 reissue. 2 different sounding guitars. Hummingbird is way more mid ranged and not a boomy. I had a bird with an adi top over Koa before and I found it really bright

Adirondack has more head room but is also brighter. Sitka has isn't as bright or loud but also not as tight at first.

The hummingbird is a completely different sound altogether than the OJ I promise you!

ive had a few variations of Gibsons martins and collings that had a red spruce and Sitka top.

This is my opinion so take it or leave it. Personally I would take the hog back but that's my preference

1449521000[/url]' post='1718997']

Adirondack has more head room but is also brighter. Sitka has isn't as bright or loud but also not as tight at first.

The hummingbird is a completely different sound altogether than the OJ I promise you!

ive had a few variations of Gibsons martins and collings that had a red spruce and Sitka top.

This is my opinion so take it or leave it. Personally I would take the hog back but that's my preference

+1.

The body shape and bracing accounts for about 95% of the sonic difference. And Birds sound like no other guitars. They are not loud, and never will be. My prior Southern Jumbo, and my current J45, both short scale, are louder than my Bird. Your long scale OJ will be significantly louder than the bird. All I can say is that the spruce/hog Birds are just warm sweet perfect strummers.

I'm not a maple guy... I like the warmer hog sound.

Archived