Gibson Brands Forums

Does your reissue share its serial number with a known genuine burst?

Guest Farnsbarns

Nope.

What a cool site, though!

I've bookmarked it so that I can waste many, many hours going through the gallery shots.

It's also an interesting tool to see how close to the originals some of the CC series get (for those guitars where Gibson lists the original's serial).

V. Cool!

Thanks for posting it, Farns!

[thumbup]

Pip.

Yea, hours and hours is correct.

Interesting, also, is how flamey, or rather, not flamey, they are. The rarity of it all......

About 1400.

I wonder, how many Les Pauls have been made total since it was "reissued"? Half a million maybe?

Guest Farnsbarns

Yea, hours and hours is correct.

Interesting, also, is how flamey, or rather, not flamey, they are. The rarity of it all......

About 1400.

I wonder, how many Les Pauls have been made total since it was "reissued"? Half a million maybe?

I think it would be a lot more.

interesting.......

Did the 57 gold tops start out with black plastics and then change to cream later in the run?

NHTom

That's a good question.

I'm trying to think of a pre-57 Gibson that had cream plastic rings for humbuckers.

...I'm trying to think of a pre-57 Gibson that had cream plastic rings for humbuckers...

Don't spend too much time doing so, Stein;

There is an entry in the Gibson ledger for February 18th 1957 which notes;

"ES-175N #A-25000.........H.B. Pickup starts here."

The Humbucker had, in fact, been introduced on a production-line Gibson in late '55 on the Consolette steel-guitar but (AFAIK) these were not 6-pole PAFs as the Consolette was not a six-string instrument nor were the p'ups ring-mounted. The first 'regular' six-string use (again; AFAIK) was on the 175 as noted above.

But yes; good question. I hadn't thought of that before. Look at 7 2916, just out of interest;

I had always assumed that Mr. White had swapped-out his plastics for black but the evidence seems to point to Black being the original fitments.

As the 175 used black plastics it would seem logical to understand that Gibson had black p'up surrounds either already in stock or ordered-up to replace the outgoing black-coloured P-90s across the range. The LP Custom of the time was, of course, the Black Beauty so again black would be the expected fare. If you look at the early '57s with black plastics the p'guards are all the multi-ply 'Custom' style units. I can't, in fact, think of a black single-ply 'guard used on an LP by Gibson until decades later.

Well done, NHTom, for pointing that out!

I've learned something new (and quite surprising) today!

Pip.

Don't spend too much time doing so, Stein;

The first 'regular' six-string use (again; AFAIK) was on the 175 as noted above.

But yes; good question. I hadn't thought of that before.

As the 175 used black plastics it would seem logical to understand that Gibson had black p'up surrounds already in stock.

Pip.

Duh.

I knew the PAF was introduced in '57....just wasn't registering.

What's funny, is I DID spent a few minutes thinking about it....

interesting.......

Did the 57 gold tops start out with black plastics and then change to cream later in the run?

NHTom

As the 175 used black plastics it would seem logical to understand that Gibson had black p'up surrounds already in stock.

Well done, NHTom, for pointing that out!

Pip.

Now, it seems perfectly logical.

Sinse cream PAF surrounds were first used on the LP, it would seem unlikely that they would have not used at least some black at first, being as they had all this stuff on hand.

Those they have pics of are in the gallery, listed by serial.

Ah. I see. No exact matches for me.

According to my serial number, it was made in July 2008 and was the 181st 1957 Reissue

BTW Anyone notice that Paypal button at top saying Donate To Burst Serial? :-k

Archived