Gibson Brands Forums

500 miles on my Ken Miller slope D

Lefty Guy

My shoulder is finally allowing me to play a little more these days, so here is a folk classic played on my wonderful Ken Miller slope. She's not a Gibson but was designed along the same lines (short scale, light build, red spruce/hog, slope dread) as my lovely SJ "new vintage". She's a little brighter in tone but loosening up with every month of play.

Nice song and good delivery there Lefty .... although I thought I was going to hear a cover of the Proclaimers 500 miles song !

Maybe just one critique, in that I would have liked to hear your voice more in the mix, the guitar sounds quite powerful and sometimes overpowers your vocals.

EDIT: actually ignore that critique, the guitar sounded somewhat brighter on my laptop speakers, but when i had another listen on more normal, better quality speakers it sounds well balanced Lefty .. [thumbup]

I really like the round tone of that Ken Miller slope. I've not heard of him before, any info?

You can always tell the guys who are proud of their guitars, 'cause they show only them and not their own heads in their videos.

Nice job with the song! Glad you're shoulder is healing, and equally glad you're comfortable playing classical style so you can play while it is.

Beautiful home!

Red 333

I really like the round tone of that Ken Miller slope. I've not heard of him before, any info?

You can always tell the guys who are proud of their guitars, 'cause they show only them and not their own heads in their videos.

Nice job with the song! Glad you're shoulder is healing, and equally glad you're comfortable playing classical style so you can play while it is.

Beautiful home!

Red 333

thx!

Ken & his wife Virginia (who is the inlay artist) were based in Florida for many years but recently moved to NC. He's been making quality instruments for 50 years but is on the verge of retirement I believe, so I guess it'll get more difficult to order from him in future. I met him at Kaufman Kamp 9 years ago, where he is Kamp "doctor" every year. I saw/heard so many of his lovely guitars there that I just had to order one & I collected my slope D at Kamp in 2014.

http://www.kenmillerguitars.com/

thx!

Ken & his wife Virginia (who is the inlay artist) were based in Florida for many years but recently moved to NC. He's been making quality instruments for 50 years but is on the verge of retirement I believe, so I guess it'll get more difficult to order from him in future. I met him at Kaufman Kamp 9 years ago, where he is Kamp "doctor" every year. I saw/heard so many of his lovely guitars there that I just had to order one & I collected my slope D at Kamp in 2014.

http://www.kenmillerguitars.com/

Thanks!

Nice song and good delivery there Lefty .... although I thought I was going to hear a cover of the Proclaimers 500 miles song !

Maybe just one critique, in that I would have liked to hear your voice more in the mix, the guitar sounds quite powerful and sometimes overpowers your vocals.

EDIT: actually ignore that critique, the guitar sounded somewhat brighter on my laptop speakers, but when i had another listen on more normal, better quality speakers it sounds well balanced Lefty .. [thumbup]

Thx Mark. Trouble is I only have a basic digital camera to film with, so not very sophisticated! & the Ken Miller is very loud 😎 Even without electrics

Beautiful playing and singing. I liked that a lot. The song was on Rosanne Cash's album, The List (based on a list of 100 essential songs her father gave her as a child) which came out a few years ago. A good song, nicely performed!

Lars

thx Lars...I saw her perform this live in London earlier this year. I found so many different versions of lyrics to this song but settled on the ones used in the film "inside llewyn davis"

Archived