Gibson Brands Forums

sorry to bring this up again,

jameswithesg

That´s the point! It´ll be messy. Don´t f... around with wax potted pickups. Using a razorblade is even worse than heating the wax. Because first you could hurt yourself and second you could hurt the coil wire. Gibson also offers the 57 with open coils.

It's easy to remove the covers, just heat the solder, use a "solder sucker" to suck up the molten solder and thats it, except for cleaning the wax that may be coating the pick up. I'm going to be removing the cover from my 498T to reuse it on the new JB I put in, just haven't gotten around to getting the solder sucker tool yet. If your interested I will let you know how it goes.

I wouldn't suggest using a razor blade, I'm sure it's possible but it's not going to be easy.

The problem with a wax-potted covered pickup is not just desoldering the edges (and I actually use a standard utility knife to cut the solder, it's easier and quicker than solder-sucking), but also with what else is underneath.

The wax potting is gonna' be messy most likely, and of course you're gonna' need to thoroughly clean the top and sides of the pickup that no longer is covered, otherwise you'll have a really gooey looking pickup.

Now, the problem with putting a cover on a stock uncovered pickup is even trickier. Not in the operation of sliding on the cover and soldering it down, but in the sonic results. My experience has never been good with adding covers to uncovered pickups unless you also are potting the pickup when you put the cover on it. Of course, if you play at modest levels with little to no overdrive it's not a big deal and might work out well for you so long as you've got the cover down all the way and it's nice and tight. But at stage volume with any overdrive and no potting, prepare for tinnitus from the squealing you'll be doing.

I would just recommend buying the pickups like you want them unless you're experienced with performing the necessary mods to make them "right".

H-Bomb

It´s not worth it. And if you check the Gibson site you´ll find that the pickups are wax potted twice. The pickup itself. And then again with the cover on. That means you´ll have to cut the wax between the pickup and the cover and then clean the pickup. If you melt the wax, say in an oven, you´ll also melt the wax potting of the pickup itself. I did that once to change covers and I wouldn´t do it again. Not as long as the same pickup is available with and with out cover. And you can always sell the old pickups after you bought new ones.

But again, this is only my opinion. It can be done - no doubt about that.

Just pulled the cover off of my 498T I had removed from my SG standard. There was some wax residue, much less than I had anticipated. I simply wiped the pickup with a paper towel and it was fine. It appears to me that Gibson did not pot the pickup with the cover on, but rather just didn't wipe the excess wax off before installing the cover. Wasn't nearly enough wax inside the cover for it to have been potted after the cover was installed.

On a side note, I pulled it to put on my seymour duncan JB, unfortunately the screw pole hole spacings are different on the JB.

It's easy to remove the covers' date=' just heat the solder, use a "solder sucker" to suck up the molten solder and thats it, except for cleaning the wax that may be coating the pick up. I'm going to be removing the cover from my 498T to reuse it on the new JB I put in, just haven't gotten around to getting the solder sucker tool yet. If your interested I will let you know how it goes.

I wouldn't suggest using a razor blade, I'm sure it's possible but it's not going to be easy.[/quote']

Not to get off topic, but how does the JB compare vs the 498T. Both are somewhat similar - hot pickups with good mids. I had an Epi G400 a few months back that I installed a Jazz/JB combo in. Now I have a Gibson SG Standard with 490R/498T. I think I'm in a minority but I really like the 498T. Works great for modern stuff like Nirvana and especially Tool (although Adam is said to use the JB in his silverburst LP), while also being great for AC/DC and Metallica type stuff too.

Just curious on your impression since you have tried both in the same guitar presumably.

cheers

The Jb seems to be more responsive to pick attack, also my 498T was far more trebley to me. The jb seems to sound more even, as in the high E doesn't bark like it did with the 498T and the JB has more bass. Also the Jb loves gain, the 498T gets muddy with too much gain, the same amount is FAR more articulate with the JB. You can play open chords with a fair amount of gain and still get clearity. Playing clean the Jb sounds almost like the 490R only hotter with more treble/bass and articulation. I like the 498T, but the JB seems more versitile and overall has a smoother sound to it.

I play all sorts of stuff from classic rock to metal and chord strumming clean. The JB covers all of these. Prior to the jb if I was going to play some rythem or chord strumming stuff I'd switch to the neck pick up, change the amp settings etc. now I can just adjust the volume and tone to get the sound I want out of the JB.

Hope that makes sense.

Archived