Gibson Brands Forums

Classic Movie Recomendations

Aster1

Hi Ya'll,

While I will watch some of the current movies & find many to be really short on story line, acting ability, photography, music, and long on special effects. Also, the classics wrote some fantastic movie scores for the oldies.

I had remembered an old late 30's movie I watched about 20 yrs. ago, when I stayed home sick and was watching AMC or TCM one day. It is called:

"On Borrowed Time" with Lionel Barrymore & Cedric Hardwicke (and others). Loved it and have tried to rent from Netflix. Not available. I just found the DVD for sale and bought it. Watched it again and Loved it just as much. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Plot is "Gramps" (L. Barrymore of course) traps Death (F. Hardwicke) in a tree to avoid Death taking him.

Anyway, if anyone likes old classics, let's list some with a teaser on the plot. There are so many great films from the 30's-50's that I love.

Aster

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ya'll,

While I will watch some of the current movies & find many to be really short on story line, acting ability, photography, music, and long on special effects. Also, the classics wrote some fantastic movie scores for the oldies.

I had remembered an old late 30's movie I watched about 20 yrs. ago, when I stayed home sick and was watching AMC or TCM one day. It is called:

"On Borrowed Time" with Lionel Barrymore & Cedric Hardwicke (and others). Loved it and have tried to rent from Netflix. Not available. I just found the DVD for sale and bought it. Watched it again and Loved it just as much. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Plot is "Gramps" (L. Barrymore of course) traps Death (F. Hardwicke) in a tree to avoid Death taking him.

Anyway, if anyone likes old classics, let's list some with a teaser on the plot. There are so many great films from the 30's-50's that I love.

Aster

i love old movies, and "On Borrowed Time" is one of my favorites. it is hard to find. I still have it on VHS.

a few of my favorites :

1. to kill a mockingbird (scout, stand up. your fathers passing)

2. shane (yea, that was wilson. he was fast. real fast)

3. white heat ("top of the world ma !") really, anything with jimmy cagney is alright with me.

4. ghost & mr. chicken (atta boy luther !) not exactly a classic, but i love it.

Oh man, I LOVE the "classics".

I kinda think the main reason, is there is a longer stretch to choose from. Much easier finding a great movie going back 50 years than just what came out last year.

I think you are right about the 40's stuff, in that, it was up to the story and the acting to make a good movie. And personally, I find that more entertaining overall.

Although there is still good actors and camera work, I think a lot of movies rely on the effects too much.

And personally, non-stop action bores me. Actions scenes NEED something behind it, or else it ain't interesting.

Not only THAT, but I like it when the movie leaves me with something. Only a story, played by actors, can do that.

B&W or colour?

I remember from when I was a kid - probably quite hard to sit through now....

"Kind Hearts and Coronets"

"The Lavender Hill Mob"

Both had Alec Guinness.

An obvious one but still worth seeing is "Giant" - James Dean.

And of course...."A Touch Of Evil"...."He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Many more! Agree that the 'old movies' (however you define that) had great acting and great scores.

4. ghost & mr. chicken (atta boy luther !) not exactly a classic, but i love it.

Oh man! That one takes me back. I disagree. It's a pure classic.

To me a classic isn't defined by it's age.

To me a classic is something that moved me at some point in my life that is a classic to me.

So I would consider 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'Eraserhead' to be classics from where I'm sitting.

B&W or colour?

"Kind Hearts and Coronets"

You beat me to it! [cursing][biggrin] That was the first one to come to my mind.

Another one that was my mom's favorite, so I have a soft spot for is "The African Queen" with Bogart and Hepburn.

My wife and I spend up to $25 on each other for Christmas and we pick our own gift(s), We buy presents for our grandchildren and our adult children This year I selected the original 1934 Treasure Island with Wallace Berry and Jackie Cooper as my present. I can't wait till Christmas night to watch it on a big screen tv. TCM is my favorite tv station. You can't beat an old movie for the story line and great acting.

I love the classics, but my favorite is The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951). When Klaatu visits Professor Barnhardt he finds that the professor is not there. But he sees that the professor is trying to solve a problem in orbital mechanics. They got an actual professor from UCLA to write the real equations on the board. The professor's name was Samuel Herrick, who was very famous; he actually coined the term "astrodynamics." Turns out he's my technical great-grandfather (my Ph.D.'s advisor's advisor's). Not only did he write the equations but he coached the actor who played the alien, Michael Rennie, what to write. Here is a picture of Dr. Herrick coaching Michael Rennie.

herrick.jpg

I just watched "Sunset Blvd" the other night. I don't know how I missed this.

Gloria Swanson was truly genius in this film. Now I understand all of the Carol Burnett parodies, and understand why she chose to do them.

Masterpiece.

I watched a good old movie a few months ago that I hadn't heard of before. It was called "Since You Went Away" It was set during WWII, but wasn't really a war movie. It takes place in the US as a mother and her two teenage daughters cope with life as the father has gone to war and is MIA.

As I watched it, I recognized a scene that was parodied in the movie "Airplane", where a soldier is leaving on a train and the girlfriend runs alongside saying goodbye as it's pulling away from the station.

Hokey Smokes Bullwinkle, There is some interest!! I had to hit the hay early (moved about 2000 lbs of inventory myself on Sat. and was tucked out) and find lots of great responses!!![biggrin]

Yeah on most all of these for me. Yes, for me The Day the Earth Stood Still is the best Si-Fi to date. Gort scared the crap out of me (kid at the time) and when you look at the S. Effects (that were to augment, not carry the movie) they were EXCELLENT even today.

I studied photography (not cinematography) in my early days, and I REALLY appreciate the masterful lighting, & filming techniques. Also, the old B&W in many cases trumps the Color (Unless it was something like Wizard of Oz or Gone w/ the Wind quality movies). It also amazes me how EXCELLENT the B&W cleans up and displays on HDTV's. That's a hard feat as hi-def really shows up ANY flaws right now.

Beings this is Pearl Harbor day, I remember watching an old movie about 25-30 yrs ago that was about a journalist trying to expose the Japanese plans for world domination (filmed in and set in maybe 1938). I don't remember the name but it was interesting to hear a military leader (the journalist was being detained as I recall) explaining how they would "take over the world" and it was ultimately financially as the plan. Yes, they could kick butt with their military, but long term it would be by controlling the $$$. That makes me think of China now! History is a wonderful thing to study. IMHO it's too bad we NEVER learn anything from it to dodge trouble in the future!!

Anyone know about that movie or title? Would love to see that again.

I'll watch "It's a Wonderful Life" & the B&W "Miracle on 34th Street" maybe this week to get into the Christmas spirit. Of course Charlie Brown's Christmas too. [biggrin] Love it when Linus explains the "True meaning of Christmas" to Charlie.

[thumbup]

Aster

My favourite movie of all is a true classic.

12 Angry Men the original with Henry Fonda (+ Lee J Cobb, Robert Weber, Jack Klugman, EG Marshall etc)

The whole film takes place in a jury room.

One of mine too. Brilliant movie.

Yeah!! Outside of the high pay for the actors (and they earned it) they had NOTHING for costs for wardrobe or sets to speak of did they! Great movie need to see that again.

For my favorite "Monster Movie" I will be hard pressed to pick. So many great ones. Possible (at least today and how I feel right now :rolleyes:) "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" would be IT. Another movie that made me need a partial wardrobe change as it scared the HELL out of me. Anyone remember all the Universal Picture Aurora Monster Models in the early 60's? Had all of them and learned the meaning of wanting "perfection" in the assy. & painting. Wish I still had all of them as I did a great job if I do say so myself. [biggrin] I think the movie is much better than the trailer. Also, I have the strange ability to be teleported back (mentally) to the time I saw some of these shows the 1st time and see them often thru my eyes again maybe as a kid even. I love that. Some of them still create that same feeling I had then. Hope I NEVER lose that.

Aster

Creature Trailer

Yeah!! Outside of the high pay for the actors (and they earned it) they had NOTHING for costs for wardrobe or sets to speak of did they! Great movie need to see that again.

For my favorite "Monster Movie" I will be hard pressed to pick. So many great ones. Possible (at least today and how I feel right now :rolleyes:) "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" would be IT. Another movie that made me need a partial wardrobe change as it scared the HELL out of me. Anyone remember all the Universal Picture Aurora Monster Models in the early 60's? Had all of them and learned the meaning of wanting "perfection" in the assy. & painting. Wish I still had all of them as I did a great job if I do say so myself. [biggrin] I think the movie is much better than the trailer. Also, I have the strange ability to be teleported back (mentally) to the time I saw some of these shows the 1st time and see them often thru my eyes again maybe as a kid even. I love that. Some of them still create that same feeling I had then. Hope I NEVER lose that.

Aster

Creature Trailer

absolutely i remember them. i had them all too. when monogram reissued some of them years back i bought what was available all over again.

I'll watch "It's a Wonderful Life" & the B&W "Miracle on 34th Street" maybe this week to get into the Christmas spirit. Of course Charlie Brown's Christmas too. [biggrin] Love it when Linus explains the "True meaning of Christmas" to Charlie.

[thumbup]

Aster

Bump for page two.

"wonderful Life" and "Miracle" are staples with me, but I think I might give CB a go this year, just cause you mentioned it with these.

Archived