Gibson Brands Forums

PLEASE, HELP!!! GIBSON ES-335

PJOTA

Hello friends!

I would like to take a course with you: I just bought a Gibson ES-335 used from a friend and he sold me like a Dot Ressue 1963 as I do not have much knowledge about this model, would like to speak to me what the exact model that electric guitar.

In her document says:

MODEL NO. ESDTCHNHI

SERIAL NO. 00910409

Already on the label inside the guitar body says:

SERIAL NO. 00910409

MODEL: ESDT335

My question is: IT IS A REISSUE?

I await your collaboration.

Thank you,.

Regards,

PAULINE J.

post-75327-026701300 1449497648_thumb.jpg

post-75327-074093400 1449497702_thumb.jpg

Hello Pauline, and welcome to this nice place in the web.

To be honest, I would love to see some more hi-res photos of your Gibson ES-335 Dot. [love] You may upload them to a cloud account at photobucket or the like and link them here. Memory space is just 500kB per account on this board.

The model name says ES for Electric Spanish, D for Dot inlays, T for figured Top, CH for Chrome Hardware, and NH for Nickel Hardware. The last position of the model name is not an "I" but the number "1" and is left from the times Gibson also sold factory 2nds with a "2" at the end.

The serial number should read YDDDYNNN and thus say 91st day, i. e. 31 March, 2000, Nashville plant (meaning +300), production number 409 - 300 = 109.

To my guess this instrument is not named or sold as a reissue. This seems to be a regular production model built to the image of the pre-1974 ES Gibsons, i. e. with ABR-1 bridge and nickel plating. Don't know though what CH refers to - chrome-plated machine heads perhaps? EDIT: By comparison to the contemporary model I found out the machine heads are chrome-plated indeed.

I hope my informations are correct and can be of help. Please remember to post more pics... [love][rolleyes]

Thanks for the reply, but I still doubt ... I am sending other photos.

I sent an email to the folks at Gibson, but so far did not answer me.

If you can help me, telling me what extato model and value of an instrument like that used, thank you very much!

post-75327-011807300 1449528001_thumb.jpg

Close-ups of the peghead front and back would be useful. A reissue would have come with the nickel-plated Deluxe tuners, vintage truss-rod cover and black tulip knobs stock, and, most important, it would have to be a Gibson Custom guitar. The serial number for an ES reissue made in 2000 would be 2DDD0NNN - note the "2" in the first position.

The pics leave the CHNH of the model code unclear. Either the machine heads are replacements, or they have made the guitar that way without notice. These things may happen. I don't know that much about ES models, but I own several Gibson special run guitars. They all are definitely legit, I bought them new from authorized dealers, but they can't be traced using any web source, only through contacting Gibson.

Cap, you seem to be a little off your game today.

CH = Cherry Finish

NH = Nickel Hardware

Single-ring plastic tulip button Kluson tuners were/are, and probably always will be, the standard ES-3XX tuning machine.

There is nothing "special run", "reissue", or odd about the 335 pictured. As I said above.... it is a standard "Gibson USA" production model.

It should not carry the premium price of a "reissue", and could be just as fine a guitar in many ways.

Cap, you seem to be a little off your game today.

CH = Cherry Finish

NH = Nickel Hardware

My fault. I guessed it was about the chrome-plated tuners.

Single-ring plastic tulip button Kluson tuners were/are, and probably always will be, the standard ES-3XX tuning machine.

Please refer to this one: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Memphis/ES-335.aspx

There is nothing "special run", "reissue", or odd about the 335 pictured. As I said above.... it is a standard "Gibson USA" production model.

It may just have got the wrong tuners. These things do REALLY happen.

It should not carry the premium price of a "reissue", and could be just as fine a guitar in many ways.

This is undisputed. I hope this eliminates any misconception. It happened twice that while I was doing some more research and writing my post, you were sending yours, and none of my statements collides with the ones you posted.

Gentlemen, this guitar looks a lot like mine and is a Dot Reissue ... what's the difference?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-GIBSON-MEMPHIS-ES-335-DOT-REISSUE-FLAMED-CHERRY-/252193322169?hash=item3ab7e4b4b9:g:b0AAAOSwkZhWS5D4

I am not "super-expert" on the differences, but the guitar in the ad does not appear to be what it is listed as. I think it's a standard, rather than a reissue.

There could be some confusion on what's called a "Dot Reissue".

The ANNOUNCED ON EBAY has the model with the same letters that my ... that's the confusion I'm having ...

Gibson personnel still did not answer me !!!

There are MANY models of ES-335 made since 2000 and earlier. With slight differences, some more slight than others.

Yours, however, is not the same guitar as the EBAY ad you posted.

The ANNOUNCED ON EBAY has the model with the same letters that my ... that's the confusion I'm having ...

Gibson personnel still did not answer me !!!

Same letters don't mean the specifications remained unchanged over the years. In some decisive points the guitar on the bay is farther from being a reissue than yours, but they both clearly are standard production models.

For different reasons it may take some time until you get a reply from Gibson. Perhaps try again some weeks later.

Archived