Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 identification - 1963 reissue or Memphis ES-335 Block Inlay?

poab

I just purchased an ES-335 that I am very happy with, however, the person who sold it to me, said that it was a 1963 reissue and from what I understand from the model identifier on the COA, I don't think that it is a 1963 reissue.

Model: ESDYATENH1, serial#: 11362710

Can you please tell me what the exact model is called and whether or not it is a 1963 reissue? From what I can tell it is a "Gibson Memphis ES-335 Block Inlay - Antique Tea Burst". Is that right? It's a 2012 model.

Also, can someone please give the pickup specs? Is there a spec sheet available for this guitar? I think that the bridge pickup was changed. The screws in the pickup are gold colour and the surface is slightly brushed, rather than smooth polished.

Thanks

post-75355-035287400 1449586258_thumb.jpg

post-75355-010240200 1449586354_thumb.jpg

Hello, and welcome here.

To my senses your ES-335 is a regular production model with several modifications. The gold-plated pole screws are funny indeed. There may have been different pickguard and tuners used during production, so they possibly are stock. I think the cherry finish of the neck's back says that it's indeed consistent with the model number your COA shows.

Hello, and welcome here.

To my senses your ES-335 is a regular production model with several modifications. [...]

Thanks for the welcome, capmaster and thanks for weighing in. This is my first ES-335 and I'm trying sort out the terminology, naming conventions and so on. I've done some research on all of this already, but am still not clear on this identification. Still hoping to get a definitive ID on my ES with the model identifier of ESDYATENH1. When you say that it looks like a regular production model, does that mean a "Gibson Memphis ES-335 Block Inlay - Antique Tea Burst" from Gibson Custom, as I have proposed?

I've had pretty helpful responses from a couple of sources. First, Gibson Customer Service. customer.relations@gibson.com. They are a little slow to respond but they always respond eventually.

Second is Charlie Gelber at OK Guitars (www.es-335.org). Charlie is passionate about 335's and is very good at responding to email inquiries.

BTW - I assume you've already put your SN into guitardaterproject.org - also a useful source of info.

... Still hoping to get a definitive ID on my ES with the model identifier of ESDYATENH1. When you say that it looks like a regular production model, does that mean a "Gibson Memphis ES-335 Block Inlay - Antique Tea Burst" from Gibson Custom, as I have proposed?

Yes, it does. The look of transparent and translucent finishes may vary a bit, especially depending on the specific wood blanks below, and the views of body top and headstock back match the pics of this model I found on the web.

There is no decoding of particular letters, but this topic might be of interest for you although the links to pics don't work anymore: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/90877-gibson-es-335-some-questions/

Thanks capmaster and jayz. I appreciate the help. I'll get in touch with Gibson Customer Service and I'll try Charlie Gelber at OK Guitars (www.es-335.org). I had seen the forum topic that you pointed out capmaster, however one person identified it as I did (not a '63 reissue) and then a couple of other people posted that it looked like a '63 reissue, so that isn't a clear answer. At this point, I'm almost certain that it isn't a '63 reissue (wrong serial number format for a '63 reissue), but it's still a wonderful guitar. Just a little less valuable than I thought, since the '63 reissues seem to sell for more.

Yes, I ran the serial number through guitardaterproject.org, although like much of the serial number decoding info that I've seen, they don't properly identify Memphis guitars. It says that they guitar is made in Nashville, but they say to note that most most hollow and semi-hallow body guitars are made at a separate plant in Memphis Tennessee, which seems unclear. This one was made in Memphis according to the signed label inside the guitar and from any info that I've seen on the model identifier. Interesting investigating these things, but not always clear!

Output from guitardaterproject.org for serial number 11362710:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

May 16th, 2012

Production Number: 410

Gibson: Nashville

Gibson’s Nashville plant was opened in Tennessee 1974. All electric models and some acoustic models currently made at this factory. This facility has an average production rate of 220 guitars a day. Each guitar is built by hand and takes about 4 to 6 weeks to complete. Note: Most hollow and semi-hallow body guitars are made at a separate plant in Memphis Tennessee. This facility has an average production rate of 40 guitars a day.

Archived