Gibson Brands Forums

12-Fret L-00 ?

NCtom

Hello, although this is my first post, I have been lurking for awhile. I am considering a 12-fret L-00 and would like some feedback on this model. I currently play a Martin CEO-7 and a Larrivee LS-03 mahogany/ alpine spruce 12-fret. With all this mahogany and spruce would the L-00 offer anything different? I cannot play the Gibson prior to ordering, but I think it might lend a dry, different tone to my other guitars. Thanks.

Hello, although this is my first post, I have been lurking for awhile. I am considering a 12-fret L-00 and would like some feedback on this model. I currently play a Martin CEO-7 and a Larrivee LS-03 mahogany/ alpine spruce 12-fret. With all this mahogany and spruce would the L-00 offer anything different? I cannot play the Gibson prior to ordering, but I think it might lend a dry, different tone to my other guitars. Thanks.

They are really cool. They have a little more bass and "bounce" to them compared to a 14 fret.

Keith

If you're talking about a new Gibson, you'll probably be disappointed vs.the Martin. Just my prediction. But if you've found an old L00 it will have rare quality, if it's all intact and in good shape. How many guitars are you wanting to own. If you buy and don't like you can just pass it on. Maybe it will push the Larivee to the door.

I've always loved the feeling that I have a chance to compare guitars at home over longer periods of time by searching online and having them sent to me. I know there are horror stories...I've just had good luck so far. You also have to have packing and shipping down to a science.

If you're talking about a new Gibson, you'll probably be disappointed vs.the Martin. Just my prediction.

YMMV............my CEO-7 doesn't float my boat like my Gibson. It's all a matter of "sound appreciation"[thumbup]

Slimt, the one I'm looking at is about $2800 now, maybe somewhat negotiable. Seems a bit high. I don't think the Larrivee is going anywhere near the door; the LS is actually my second, cheaper Larrivee. The L-00 vs. the CEO-7 is actually the question I'm facing; the Adi top of the Martin doesn't seem to be breaking in and the 14-fret v-shaped neck takes some getting used to. I'm torn right now and I have had some good Gibsons over the years. Thanks for the responses.

Gibson + 12-fret... MOJO.

I have a CEO7 and an L1 12-fret (both 2013, both adi tops). The Martin is proper fingerpicking perfection, but the Gibson... it inspires me to write. It'd be my last to go.

With all this mahogany and spruce would the L-00 offer anything different? /quote] Yes. Your average Gibson is going to have a stronger mid-range and a nice chordal blend. Martins tend to have more string to string definition and note operation. Liking one sound doesn't preclude enjoying the other.

Archived