Gibson Brands Forums

7 Guitars That Were Ahead of Their Time

rocketman

My first good electric guitar was an Electra Omega Les Paul shape MPC. It had a Curly Maple Top and a Maple Fretboard.

Same here, mine was the early 80s custom LP copy, 3 humbuckers, mahogany body, think the fretboard was rosewood, most distinctive feature was the gun metal blue paint job.

I would love an Alembic Bass. Good enough for Entwistle good enough for me.

I used to open for a band on tour tour whose bass player tried using an Alembic for a while. I thought it sounded great, but the particular model used had a headstock that was designed a bit too heavy. If you took your hand off the neck, the headstock would dive toward the floor. It got fatiguing enough that the the bass player went back to her usual Rickenbacker.

I suspect big John Entwistle and Phil Lesh had far more electronics built into the body cavity to counterbalance that headstock. If you've ever seen the Grateful Dead movie, Lesh gives you a peek into the innards of his and you know what I mean.

The instrument was truly beautiful to look at, it sounded AWESOME, but it was tough to play for extended periods of time.

that was cool rabs.

I remember the first Alembic bass I ever saw was owned by one of the consultants my work place hired to setup networking gear from the company that he was from. He lived locally (some where near boston).. we got to talking shop (music of course) and he asked if I ever heard of Alembic Guitars, I hadn't. He brought it with him the next day, it was impressive. this was back in the late 70s maybe early 80s..

I think he said he paid close to $9,000 for it back then. This one had a battery to not only power the electronics but it had red leds for fret markers, both on the fret board and on the edge so you could see them as you played.

as a kid, I was neighbors (and later hung out and played quite a lot) with a guy that bought one of the very first ovation balladeers. He still has it, it needed a neck reset a few years ago. It's still quite playable. [i still play in bands now and then with this dude. Talk about music making life long friends.]

I also remember when the Travis Bean guitars with those funky necks first hit the stores. Man, they felt like something from another planet when you played them. I didn't really like em. They felt "dead".

Archived