Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard Makeover

JamGuy

I'm in the process of making a few cosmetic changes to my '04 SG Standard, basically giving it a late 60's vibe. I'd like to swap out the Gibson Deluxe tuners for for period correct double ring Kluson's... I know I need to use conversion bushings but want to make sure I get the right ones. Could someone give me an idiot proof answer as to which bushings to get?

I'm also planning on adding a TonePros bridge with nylon saddles, pointer washers and a plain black truss rod cover. Nothing too major, just a fun little project. I'll get a few pictures up when it's all done!

They worked perfectly (almost)... a little bit of filing was necessary for them to fit but it was pretty straight forward. They look great, better than the the seasick green shade of the Gibson Deluxe tuners. As far as installation of the bridge and and pointer washers, also without incident. I'll try and get some pictures up as soon as I can. It really did take on the appearance of the '67 I saw pictured and it (still) sounds great. There may be a bit of change of tone with the nylon saddles but nothing too noticeable. I have a reissue '63 335 with the nylon saddles and just love it... I was wondering if the with the nylon saddles I could capture some of that magic... I'm not so sure.

... I was wondering if the with the nylon saddles I could capture some of that magic... I'm not so sure.

The only possible prediction is that the natural resonances will be shifted to lower frequencies. Except for higher fretted notes of the E1st, they still will be in the range of harmonics though. This is a result of the change in speed of sound. Inside of Nylon it is significantly lower than within every timber or metal used for making guitars. The only exception is ashwood across the grain where sound propagates slower than in air. In contrary, ashwood is next to spruce the fastest tonewood along the grain.

The only possible prediction is that the natural resonances will be shifted to lower frequencies. Except for higher fretted notes of the E1st, they still will be in the range of harmonics though. This is a result of the change in speed of sound. Inside of Nylon it is significantly lower than within every timber or metal used for making guitars. The only exception is ashwood across the grain where sound propagates slower than in air. In contrary, ashwood is next to spruce the fastest tonewood along the grain.

How interesting... thanks for shedding some light on the matter. In the big scheme of things, it was more of a cosmetic makeover than anything else but I was curious to see if the saddles would impart some of that tone from my 335. But alas, comparing the tone of a 335 with an SG, and both guitars having different pickups, is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Still plays great and I'm happy with how it sounds so all in all, life is good! [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived