Gibson Brands Forums

J50 Comes Home

MorrisrownSal

I'll save the flowery words. I will be blunt and just report the facts.

1) I owned a J50 in 2012 - a Modern Classic version I bought from Fuller's

2) I sold it in 2013.

3) I bought it back and it arrived today at work.

4) This is the best guitar decision I have ever made - buying it back.

5) The guy I sold it to, who sold it back to me, played it lovingly and the guitar is in excellent condition. He opened it up.

6) The top has darkened.

7) Here is a recording, that compares my J45 first and my J50 second: https://soundcloud.c...chatham/j45-j50

8) A lesson has been learned by me. I need to hold on to guitars long enough for them to open up. I do play them plenty for that to happen, so I am short-changing myself when I swap frequently.

9) This weekend I will put the same strings on the two guitars and record again.

Then: recodingtools.jpg

Now: IMG_3272_zps9kchketb.jpg

7) ... A lesson has been learned by me. I need to hold on to guitars long enough for them to open up. I do play them plenty for that to happen, so I am short-changing myself when I swap frequently.[/size]

9) I spoke with Gibson. I am the original owner who registered the guitar; my warranty still applies. ...

A good lesson learned - they sometimes do take a long while to open up. Many times patience pays off. Glad you had a second chance on this one.

She sounds great (a bit more definition on the low end) and looks great Sal - especially with the darkened top blending so nicely with the hog. And it's very nice Gibson allows the warranty to still be enforce.

Congrats. . B)

If those are the same type strings of the same age, the J-50 sounds significantly more open, and less tight. You really feel like the top is ringing more, with a bit more not clarity as well. Would love to hear the two guitars picked rather than strummed..

I'm surprised at how quickly the top has "aged down". Color is beautiful compared to the stark-white of the Martin top. Did the guy you sold it to keep it in the case, or on a stand? Just trying to figure out why the top has darkened so quickly.

I have it confused - without going back to your old thread, I thought you were getting an SJ TV back. Or is that coming too? [mellow]

Kidding - congratulations!

Going back 30 plus, I saw a Les Paul Custom (used) I HAD to have. After a few thoughts, I traded my Telecaster Custom towards it, had many gigs that weekend...Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night early and another spot gig late, Sunday afternoon. After the first song on Friday, I thought: "I don't really get MY sound out of this thing!" Oh Oh .......

I was at the music shop before they opened on Monday getting my Tele back!

Probably why I still have it, though haven't played a note on it.

BluesKing777.

Cool! :)

I thought my 2008 J-50 top was just too white so I put it in the sun for many, many hours - hundreds I'm sure. It certainly added some depth to the finish and darkened it somewhat, but I was surprised that it didn't have more of an effect. But it looks good now. It should go without saying that I'm a big J-50 fan. ;)

Enjoy the reunion with your old friend!

Congrats. That J45 sounds mighty fine as well.

I have a love/hate relationship with my J50. Sometimes I think It's the best sounding guitar I have, and then sometimes I think it's the worst sounding. Right now it's "worst" and has been sitting in the case for a few weeks. Time to get it out again...

Sal, do you think you could do one of your A/B comparisons with your J50 vs. LG2 American Eagle? I've had the itch for a small bodied Gibson and would love to hear how the J50 compares.

I wanted to correct the record...

I misread my communication with Gibson. The policy is that to have your warranty you have to maintain continuous ownership. IE you cant buy it new, sell it, and then buy it back down the road through some chain of command, and still be considered for the original warranty. I amended my post.

I wanted to correct the record...

I misread my communication with Gibson. The policy is that to have your warranty you have to maintain continuous ownership. IE you cant buy it new, sell it, and then buy it back down the road through some chain of command, and still be considered for the original warranty. I amended my post.

But if you buy it new, sell it, and then buy it back with the original documentation .... how would they ever know you werent a 'continous' owner ? Impossible for them to prove that you were not, so you should be fine.

Anyways...

Getting back to this J50; I think J45 may be right, in that for me to make a proper comparison, my J45 and J50 need to have the same strings; then we will be able to hear what a few years of opening up will do for a guitar. I'll give that a shot this weekend gents.

Again, Happy Holidays to all of you, and to Gibson, and heck... to Martin while we are at it....

Anyways...

Getting back to this J50; I think J45 may be right, in that for me to make a proper comparison, my J45 and J50 need to have the same strings; then we will be able to hear what a few years of opening up will do for a guitar. I'll give that a shot this weekend gents.

Again, Happy Holidays to all of you, and to Gibson, and heck... to Martin while we are at it....

Good idea - and a good tale this one. Worth a song (about fate, walks, circles and bigger lines in life) - an abstract task, , , but you can do it, Sal.

I'll look forward to A/B'ing the 2 A/B's.

Btw. I really dig the fact it broke in and got tanned on the way. Must be included in the reunion-tune.

But if you buy it new, sell it, and then buy it back with the original documentation .... how would they ever know you werent a 'continous' owner ? Impossible for them to prove that you were not, so you should be fine.

same thought was in my head,, but I also hear voices... so there's that..

Congratulations on getting back the J-50. I got my 2001 model in 2010, and it was somewhat yellowed already. I've kept it by the window but out of direct sunlight for the last 5 years, and it's yellowed/darkened even more. It looks a lot older than 14 years.

Archived