Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with purchase, opinions please....

norcalpiper

Hi group-

So here it is. I'm going to be buying my 4th Gibson tomorrow. I have a 2013 SG 60's tribute, a 2014 LPJ, and a 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker.

So my son has progressed far enough and wants the Melody Maker. I am proud to give it to him, but those P90's just are rockers. I love all my guitars, but the melody maker has a sound that rocks. I went to GC and tried the 2016 60s tribute with p90's. It also was a slammin sound.

But i saw on zzounds a 2013 Les Paul 50's tribute with p90's. It is about 150$ cheaper than the 2016 tribute. They both have P90's, but the 50's trib has a 50's neck. That really doesnt bother me though.

To stir the pot further, the 2016 SG special has 2 mini humbuckers which also interested me.

I'm inclined to go with the 2013 LP 50s trib as it was my original intent. It does not have the mini tune.

But I'm intrigued by the mini humbuckers on the SG....I've never played a mini, so I have no clue if that is a better alternative to p90's...

I guess the question is, should I go for a cheaper model Les Paul with p90's over the 2016 model that has them, but is newer model.

Or should i go 180 degrees different and do the mini humbucker SG? Thanks for any opinion...

I guess the question is, should I go for a cheaper model Les Paul with p90's over the 2016 model that has them, but is newer model.

Or should i go 180 degrees different and do the mini humbucker SG? Thanks for any opinion...

I hope you are going to a store that has them all in stock and you can play them. For the Les Pauls, which feels better? And if it is a toss up, which color do you like more? Don't worry too much about the difference in price. Go with the guitar you love.

The same applies to the SG. Play them all and go with the one you love.

I think it is great that your son is advancing with his guitar. Fathers and sons with a common interest is special. Just be glad it isn't something frightfully expensive like golf, or sailing.

Here's my opinion...

If the older 2013 model has nibs... go for it. I played some newer LP's in GC a couple weeks ago, and they didn't have nibs. I felt every fret end and if I ran my hand along it hard enough, they would actually cut me.(a deal breaker for me). My LP has nibs and it feels great.

Since the 2013 has P90's and that's what you want, and it has nibs, that would be my choice. Also, your first inclination is usually the one to go with. You might be kicking yourself later if you choose differently.

JMHO.

The 50's tribute LP doesn't have a bound neck, so no nibs. I have a 2013 50's Tribute LP and on mine the frets were finished nicely along the neck edges, I don't feel any fret ends, same with my 2009 Studio LP, but my Government series LP I can feel the fret ends.

I love my 50's tribute LP. The wood used is beautiful, the P90's sound great to me and I really like the satin finish. Great guitars for the money.

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and went with the 2013 50's tribute. I spent a little extra for the gold top. Only downside is that it has that damned mini tune. Doesnt matter as i ordered Grover vintage gears and will replace the minitune the second it arrives. I also went ahead and bought cream p90 covers and switch plate. This gold top is I think, satin finished, so i plan on taking the gear off and doing a compound and buff job and then modding it. Suler excited...i'll post pics asap.

I have a LP Custom '56 spec with P90s.

One of the very finest guitars I ever bought. Led me to this forum so to speak.

P90s hum with distortion but the clean sound is just something else - unique.

Archived