Gibson Brands Forums

A sad day in Rock n Roll

duane v

Many people my age and older remember exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard President Kennedy had been killed.

I will never forget where I was, what I was doing, and even who I was with, when I first heard of Lennon's murder. Shocking and devastating news. Things like that were/are not supposed to happen to "artists".

Many people my age and older remember exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard President Kennedy had been killed.

I will never forget where I was, what I was doing, and even who I was with, when I first heard of Lennon's murder. Shocking and devastating news. Things like that were/are not supposed to happen to "artists".

Amen

Yup.. He will be missed for a long time...

As well as everything else he did he created what I think is one of the most perfect and pure songs ever made... And it probably means more today than ever before.

December 8th was our one month wedding anniversary, we had partied a tad on the evening of the 8th. The clock radio went off at 5am on the 9th, and somebody on the radio told us what happened night before.

One of us said "I still gotta go to work...".

We will never forget that.

rct

I was in high school in math class when Kennedy was shot. As for Lennon, watching Monday Night Football and Cosell came on with the announcement. I read years later that HC was handed the news bulletin, and Frank Gifford told him something to the effect of "You'd better make damn sure that's true before you go on air with it!" Unfortunately...

I took a 10 mile walk today listening only to the Beatles. I tell this story every December 9th it seems: I woke up December 9th, 1980 at my College apartment that I shared with my brother. He spent an all nighter studying. I woke to Beatles on the clock radio alarm. When my brother came in that morning I said "Hey David, It's going to be a great day, they're playing nothing but Beatles on the Radio!". He said, "Phillip, sit down."

John Lennon was/is my all time favorite song writer. Amazing.

It was my Mother's birthday but a little sad because her Mother was hospitalized that time. She later recovered and passed away in 1990.

I had come home in the late afternoon into a short and quiet birthday party, and soon my Mother went to visit my Grandmother. Having started playing guitar about eight weeks ago, I was busy in founding a new band and practicing the first two songs I had written. My sister was listening to the radio and then suddenly rushed into my room. With an expression of shock and horror she told me the bad news.

Since that day my Mother's birthday has never been the same to me.

I was heading up the night crew of a supermarket when word came over the radio we had blaring all night. I wasn't paying attention at first but thought I heard the DJ say something about John and reports out of NYC that he had been shot and rushed to the hospital.

I kept thinking it had to be a mistake. Why would anyone want to shoot a Rock n Roll singer?

When I got home that morning I broke the news to my parents and my younger brothers who were just getting up for school. My youngest brother and I were talking about it not too long ago and he recalled me telling him that morning. How it was like a family member had passed.

My fav solo John

I Found Out

Instant Karma

Jealous Guy

Gimme Some Truth

Archived