Gibson Brands Forums

Please Talk me out of/into buying this 2008 LP 1960 Classic Reissue

v281

Hello all,

I'm presently GASsing for this 2008 LP 1960 Classic Reissue:

12278651_10208223131444934_4136514501341534492_n_zpsnrulayeb.jpg

This is the only picture I have. Will be trying it out tonight or over the weekend.

Am overseas and price point is approx. $1750-$1800 (incl. Gibson hard case).

Please talk me out of (or into :-) ) buying this guitar over some other LP type (this would be my 2nd Gibson, I just recently acquired a SG Traditional).

Pros/cons of this model vs. some of the other models and things to look for when trying it out would also be appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

Advance thanks,

v281

Guest Farnsbarns

Never buy a guitar you haven't been able to have a good long play of. Does that help?

I'm not sure what you mean by overseas though. If you can play it, and it's a good one, buy it.

First-off it's NOT a re-issue so if you are thinking you are getting a great price for an R0 you aren't.

If it is being advertised as a Re-issue then the ad. is misleading.

It's a 1960 Classic.

If you accept that it's a 1960 Classic and still want to go ahead with the deal then on you go.

They are usually great guitars. I have a pair of them myself.

Pip.

Never buy a guitar you haven't been able to have a good long play of. Does that help?

I'm not sure what you mean by overseas though. If you can play it, and it's a good one, buy it.

Thanks for your reply Farnsbarns. Sorry I didn´t make that clear. Reference to overseas was for purposes of indicating that price might not be quite comparable to USA eBay prices (from what I can tell they look to be maybe 10% less in the US, but accounting for transportation costs and import tariffs+VAT I believe it´s a pretty decent price) and that I have a fairly limited selection of LPs to choose from.

I will definitely not buy without trying and am planning to do so either this evening or over the weekend (the seller is local).

Mainly wondering about the pros/cons of this model vs. Standard, Deluxe, Special etc. and whether there is anything in particular I should be on the lookout for when trying. You can tell from these questions that this will be my first LP, I haven't played many and am a relative newbie :-)

First-off it's NOT a re-issue so if you are thinking you are getting a great price for an R0 you aren't.

If it is being advertised as a Re-issue then the ad. is misleading.

It's a 1960 Classic.

If you accept that it's a 1960 Classic and still want to go ahead with the deal then on you go.

They are usually great guitars. I have a pair of them myself.

Pip.

Thanks for your input and the heads up on that Pip. I believe the seller doesn't know any better - i.e. I don´t think he's trying to mislead intentionally. From what I´ve managed to Google it seems this would be a reasonable price for a 2008 model year LP 1960 classic (allowing for customs/VAT and s&h that is), would you agree?

Glad to hear you've got a couple, and find them great - that's certainly re-assuring given your long experience with Gibson guitars (noticed you've been on the board since 2008 and have quite a few posts under your belt :-) ). As mentioned in the post above I have only tried a few LPs so don't really have much to compare it with.

Pros/cons of this model vs. some of the other models and things to look for when trying it out would also be appreciated....

Good to hear that you're doing your homework, v281.

Also great to hear that you'll be trying it out before you buy it - although LPs are usually treated pretty well by their owners.

As far as the 1960 Classic is concerned, the one you are considering is slightly less commonly seen in that is has gold-plated hardware.

The model was equipped with a pair of 496R/500T ceramic magnet p'ups of considerable power.

They are pretty lairy and perfectly suited for heavy, powerful classic rock in the vein of Aerosmith etc. but can also be tamed for some heavy blues.

They are slightly less easy to dial-in for a more purist-style of blues - B.B. King, say - but it can be done if that's your 'bag'.

The rest of the hardware it pretty bombproof; stock Nashville bridge, stoptail, green-key Kluson machines and so on. All of this has been used since the '50s ('70s for the Nashville) and is utterly Classic.

Things to check?

Frets for wear although as it's only 7 years old there shouldn't be any worries there.

Scratchy pots.

Bent tuners.

It looks like it has Schaller strap-locks fitted so the originals would be nice to have in case of a future sale.

The fingerboard looks to be very dry; it might need a bit of TLC with a lemon-oil dressing but that's not really an issue.

Other than that?

Not a lot to say against it at all.

Hope the test goes smoothly and we get to see a NGD thread soon.

Pip.

Good to hear that you're doing your homework, v281.

Also great to hear that you'll be trying it out before you buy it - although LPs are usually treated pretty well by their owners.

As far as the 1960 Classic is concerned, the one you are considering is slightly less commonly seen in that is has gold-plated hardware.

The model was equipped with a pair of 496R/500T ceramic magnet p'ups of considerable power.

They are pretty lairy and perfectly suited for heavy, powerful classic rock in the vein of Aerosmith etc. but can also be tamed for some heavy blues.

They are slightly less easy to dial-in for a more purist-style of blues - B.B. King, say - but it can be done if that's your 'bag'.

The rest of the hardware it pretty bombproof; stock Nashville bridge, stoptail, green-key Kluson machines and so on. All of this has been used since the '50s ('70s for the Nashville) and is utterly Classic.

Things to check?

Frets for wear although as it's only 7 years old there shouldn't be any worries there.

Scratchy pots.

Bent tuners.

It looks like it has Schaller strap-locks fitted so the originals would be nice to have in case of a future sale.

The fingerboard looks to be very dry; it might need a bit of TLC with a lemon-oil dressing but that's not really an issue.

Other than that?

Not a lot to say against it at all.

Hope the test goes smoothly and we get to see a NGD thread soon.

Pip.

Great points! Thanks for the tips heading out the door to check it out - may be bringing it back this evening if everything checks out [biggrin]

Yeah... the only things really noteworthy compared to some other LPs are the hot pickups and the 60s slim neck...

I have one too... Great guitars [thumbup]

what are the pickups? if those are the 500 series.... may want to do some homework on them, those are hot, maybe too much so.

Thanks for your input Rabs and kidblast - will pay extra attention to the pickups per your, and pip's, suggestion

Heading out the door to try it out NOW :-)

Cheers and thanks again for everybody's thoughts and input,

v281

Thanks all for your suggestions, input and help.

Went and tried it out, loved it and brought it home! Woohoo!! \:D/

Was going to post pics this evening, but they didn't turn out as well as I hoped, will have to re-shoot them and post this weekend.

All the things Pip mentioned checked out OK (i.e. no visible fretwear, pots OK, tuners OK, neck looked fine, original strap buttons not available though - added bonus nice leather strap w/gold strap-locks matching the hardware). Good call on the fretboard Pip, it is dry and in need of lemon-oil dressing. Will be taking care of that this weekend.

Found that I liked the 60´s neck and felt it was comfortable. Must admit that I can´t really tell much difference between the 60's neck on the LP and the 50's neck on my SG (beforehand I was concerned that there might be a big difference, but turns out there isn't).

The guitar was somewhat more scratched/road worn than expected and the paintjob is chipped+worn on either side of the headstock (consistent with damage inflicted by a guitar wallhanger). It has clearly been gigged extensively. Doesn't really bother me too much, though.

Sounded great when testing it out on the seller's Mesa Boogie amp and even better once I got it home and plugged into my Victoria Victorilux 2x12.

I may have overpaid by a little bit given the roadwear, but this guitar was owned by a locally wellknown, popular artist (yes, pedigree is fully documented and verifiable) so I shouldn't have much trouble getting my money back on future re-sale if I wish to part with it at a later date.

All in all quite thrilled to have finally added a genunine LP to my growing herd :-)

Thanks again for your insights. Stay tuned, NGD thread coming this weekend.

Cheers,

v281

P.s: What the heck , here are the crappy pictures for starters (it's a good thing I didn´t choose photography for a living or I´d be starving!! :-) ) Will post better ones later:

IMG_59401_zps5brdtsqh.jpg

IMG_59421_zps3ethsim3.jpg

IMG_59431_zpsanxr1nvj.jpg

IMG_59441_zpspgb8geaw.jpg

Congrats.

I could never talk you out of that (assuming it is in good shape). I have one, same year, same finish, same gold hardware, close to the same price and I love it. They are chambered, mine is not heavy at all. The pickups are hot and sound great through valve amps, if you are into rock then they shouldn't disappoint. I took the pick guard off mine, think it looks better without.

IMG_0484_zpsnratgecd.jpg

Archived