Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Gibson J45 followed by 2012 Gibson J50

MorrisrownSal

Quick one take recording folks. iPhone and Zoom IQ6 mic.

Excuse the sweat clothes. Excuse the flubs and sloppy play; I had a long day. The specs on these guitars are pretty identical. Same bracing. Sitka tops. Hog back and sides. Grover tuners on the headstock. The only differences I believe are the nuts and saddles. The guy I bought the J50 back from told me he changed the nut and saddle to bone;I think the nut and saddle on the J45 are tusq. Finally, the action is a tad higher on the J45, and I think I will try to raise the J50's action a tad, although it is so easy to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-34sUIOoZ0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrT5py9cyUc

I couldn't pick one over the other. Being a fan of low action and almost all fingerpicking I lean toward the J50. Of course, the action on the J45 can also be adjusted up or down, so that puts me back at square one. I hear that warm and mellow Gibson tone in both of them. Lots of good things going-on with both.

After reading Kwalker's comment I went back and listened again. I did detect a few places where I thought the 45 was sounding bright (for a J45). Then, as I listened to the J50 again, I thought it sounded bright in a few places....lol....All I can tell you is that you have to great and superb guitars there. Two beasts, with the gentleness of lambs.

I am not a good finger picker for sure. I wanted to add that in here though; I think Nick wanted to hear that.

I am also having a bad hand day. I cant loosen up. Way too stressed today, and my hands are still shaky.

Maybe I will give this a go again over the weekend with a beer in me. Most think I play best with two beers in me. I think I play best with nine.

I couldn't pick one over the other. Being a fan of low action and almost all fingerpicking I lean toward the J50. Of course, the action on the J45 can also be adjusted up or down, so that puts me back at square one. I hear that warm and mellow Gibson tone in both of them. Lots of good things going-on with both.

After reading Kwalker's comment I went back and listened again. I did detect a few places where I thought the 45 was sounding bright (for a J45). Then, as I listened to the J50 again, I thought it sounded bright in a few places....lol....All I can tell you is that you have to great and superb guitars there. Two beasts, with the gentleness of lambs.

Mp, when I play softly... for example if I play Angie (no dont worry we wont go there again), I swear the J50 is my Hummingbird.

The guitars really are pretty similar, but I'll stand by my earlier comments about them.

You still have the same strings on, or they now both the same strings of the same age? Sounds like the same strings as the previous test to me, unless there is some fundamental quality of the guitar that is taking precedence.

Nothing's wrong with your playing style, Sal, although I sense you are more comfortable with the flat pick. You're definitely more relaxed with it, and it comes through a bit in your playing.

Wasn't the new-strings-on-both vid going to be attempted on the weekend? J-50 the bright one, here. Both bone saddle/nut and low action can conspire to give a brighter sound. The eq of the guitar can actually be heard to change with the adjustment in height of the action. Have you got the handy StewMac string height/action gauge?

No apologies necessary; thanks for going through the trouble to put this up... Two fine guitars.

You guys think that any perceived brightness will resolve as the strings (fresh) age a bit?

As to one guitar against the other I kept comparing 1:32 vs 3:22 and the difference (other than the out-of-tune string on the J-50) just seemed so slight.

I'd say either one is a keeper and send the other to me for Christmas. (This guitar plus the one I got JT to agree to gift me are going to make it a holly jolly Christmas, that's for sure.)

Nicely done, Sal.

I think watching these videos doesn't capture my perception of how they sound. I feel the J45 is louder, and the strings stiffer; perhaps the seller of the J50 told me he put on lights, but they feel looser than the strings on th J45. Maybe they are custom lights. Anyways, as is, I feel the J45 has more headroom and the J50 is sweeter, kinder, and warmer.

I'm happy with them both. I am officially done. Stop laughing. I have learned my lesson. I'm going to work on playing out a lot more next year. Typically the places we play book two months ahead of time. We are off this month, and start back up end of January. I think I will be recording with the J50 and my Martin D15, and gigging the J45 and D35. When I get busy at work and playing out, I have less time for mind to play the GAS game.

Archived