Gibson Brands Forums

Wiring question

fretmedic

2010 LP Standard Traditional. Push/Pull volume knobs (both) and normal tone knobs. Since this is the first guitar I have acquired with coil splitting wired like this,I have a question. In the middle position of the pickup selector, if both volume knobs are set to zero, I can not increase the volume of just one pickup. In other words, if I set either volume knobs to zero, both pickups are silenced. Is this normal for the way Gibson sets them up?

Guest Farnsbarns

Yep. It's the same with all (nearly all, just to cover the inevitable response that some obscure model wasn't wired like this.) Les Pauls since 52.

2010 LP Standard Traditional. Push/Pull volume knobs (both) and normal tone knobs. Since this is the first guitar I have acquired with coil splitting wired like this,I have a question. In the middle position of the pickup selector, if both volume knobs are set to zero, I can not increase the volume of just one pickup. In other words, if I set either volume knobs to zero, both pickups are silenced. Is this normal for the way Gibson sets them up?

Yes this is a normal feature. It's a bit of an odd one, but it's been that was for 60+ years.

There are modifications you can make to change this; allowing you to individually dial each pickup without it affecting the other, thus decoupling them. Send me a message if you want to know more and I can explain this.

Archived