Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
matiac

Glossy Fretboard...?

While watching 'The History Of The Eagles' on Netflix, they do a brief closeup of Joe Walsh playing 'Rocky Mountain Way', and I couldn't help but notice the fret board of his Les Paul had an almost mirror-like gloss to it, it had more shine than the frets did. It should be noted that he was playing slide during the song. I've never seen, or heard of a polished (to a mirror like sheen) fret board before...what would the reason for that be? It was like it had some kind of top-coat or something, not just well oiled...it was WAY too shiny...anyone ever hear of this, and what would be the reason for it?

Its how my maple neck Strat (regular Fender model) came in 1972. I think it was to seal the maple. After 25 years of playing, I never wore through it. Was still as glossy as new.

Its how my maple neck Strat (regular Fender model) came in 1972. I think it was to seal the maple. After 25 years of playing, I never wore through it. Was still as glossy as new.

The only way to remove the polyester finish of those old fenders is with a chisel.

While watching 'The History Of The Eagles' on Netflix, they do a brief closeup of Joe Walsh playing 'Rocky Mountain Way', and I couldn't help but notice the fret board of his Les Paul had an almost mirror-like gloss to it, it had more shine than the frets did. It should be noted that he was playing slide during the song. I've never seen, or heard of a polished (to a mirror like sheen) fret board before...what would the reason for that be? It was like it had some kind of top-coat or something, not just well oiled...it was WAY too shiny...anyone ever hear of this, and what would be the reason for it?

This has been my gripe with reissues and True Historic guitars. When Gibson relic a guitar they leave the fretboard dry. But after 20-30 years of playing the board wears and becomes glossy with hand oils etc, which make them slicker to play. I've often thought about polishing one of my necks. Perhaps wax it with a buffing wheel.

I've seen it on rosewood fingerboards on Rickenbackers - I think that's how they make them (with clear coat)..?

The fretboards on Rics are usually made of bubinga, but yes the fretboard on my Ric has a high gloss finish, as does my maple neck Tele

Prolly had it refretted and sealed. I used to like them like that, but it seems rough unsealed fingerboards became the norm along the way.

rct

I have guitars with sealed fretboards and some unsealed.

On the maple Fender fretboards it's okay, but I have a d'Angelico EX-SS that has a thick layer of clear coat on it that I honestly am not that fond of.

I guess over the years I have grown accustomed to feeling the grain of the wood under my fingertips, which is my only actual beef about playing richlite. I have a Martin with a richlite board and it just never feels right to me.

Walsh has 'The Confessor' which I believe he did post Eagles, and while Tim didn't to my knowledge do any solo stuff, he WAS working, but yeah, I kinda noticed the smugness of that myself, and while they may have had their differences (Frey mostly) with Felder, I can kinda understand why he felt the way he did when they got back together, I mean, 'Hotel California' was his concept...I believe a couple Eagles songs were Felder's, and he was also working post-Eagles...he did the title track for the movie 'Heavy Metal', with, ironically enough Henley doing backup vocals! And I never knew that until the other day when I was listening to it on youtube. Now maybe the others didn't get the critical acclaim Henley and Frey got, but they WERE working, and the way I understood that whole dialogue, the whole money thing was based solely on that. And I gotta admit that I thought Frey did a good job in that movie he did with Tom Cruise about the football agent ...'Jerry McGuire' I believe it was?

Hey FZ, wanna loose even more respect? Go on youtube, and there's some videos of Howard Stern interviewing Don Felder called 'Heaven & Hell'...it's VERY revealing...that poor guy got the shaft in more ways than one...but he DID manage to be a thorn in Henley/Frey's collective side...whole new outlook on those two...suffice to say they got greedy and aloof...