Gibson Brands Forums

2007 vs 2016 LP Faded

iRedFive

Hello everyone!

I wanted to get some info on the differences between a 2007 LP studio faded and the 2016 T version. I bought a used 2007 SN:006870650 at my local GC for 649. I was wondering if a new 2016 has enough differences to justify buying a brand new LP or holding on to the '07.

I seem to remember reading something about the new 2016s having a slightly wider fretboard. not sure if that applied to the new HP versions only though.

I can't find any info on the electronics for the 2007 LP faded. did it have burstbuckers?

any info and opinions on sticking with the used or paying an extra 150 for a brand spankin new one is appreciated!

What is it you are looking for?

If you arnt happy with your current guitar then look into getting a new one.. If you are happy with it then buy a second one anyway :D

But really a LP is a LP mostly.. If you want certain pickups and are looking for a new sound but you like the way your current guitar plays then it will be cheaper to just get some new pickups...

As mentioned the T line is traditional specs so you wont be getting much different to what you have.. The HP line does have a slightly wider fretboard but (as far as ive read) not as wide as the 2015s.... The HP line also has a new neck heal plus obviously the auto tuners and an adjustable nut and a cool new feature of dip switches which allow you to change the pickup wiring (which I think is really cool).....

What is it you are looking for?

If you arnt happy with your current guitar then look into getting a new one.. If you are happy with it then buy a second one anyway :D

But really a LP is a LP mostly.. If you want certain pickups and are looking for a new sound but you like the way your current guitar plays then it will be cheaper to just get some new pickups...

As mentioned the T line is traditional specs so you wont be getting much different to what you have.. The HP line does have a slightly wider fretboard but (as far as ive read) not as wide as the 2015s.... The HP line also has a new neck heal plus obviously the auto tuners and an adjustable nut and a cool new feature of dip switches which allow you to change the pickup wiring (which I think is really cool).....

Well, I have wanted a LP for a while. and I am mostly happy with it. I am just wondering if it was a better deal to buy a brand new 2016 or pay 150 less for one that is almost 10 years older. I understand that LP's typical hold value pretty well.

I am happy with the T specs of 2016 and it seems like the 2007 i have is the same, but I just don't have any info confirming that the 07 is exactly like the 16 T. the 07 is nice but does have signs of being worn and i can't help the feeling that for 150 bucks more i can have a brand new one that i get to wear in myself. the only real cost drawback is the 16s come with a gig bag and the 07 i have has a hardshell case.

anyway thanks for the input. still have a couple more weeks before i can take it back and swap for a new one.

Well, I have wanted a LP for a while. and I am mostly happy with it. I am just wondering if it was a better deal to buy a brand new 2016 or pay 150 less for one that is almost 10 years older. I understand that LP's typical hold value pretty well.

I am happy with the T specs of 2016 and it seems like the 2007 i have is the same, but I just don't have any info confirming that the 07 is exactly like the 16 T. the 07 is nice but does have signs of being worn and i can't help the feeling that for 150 bucks more i can have a brand new one that i get to wear in myself. the only real cost drawback is the 16s come with a gig bag and the 07 i have has a hardshell case.

anyway thanks for the input. still have a couple more weeks before i can take it back and swap for a new one.

Well the best thing we can say to anyone is that you should just go out and try as many as possible... All Gibbies are kinda unique in the setup and neck shape as they are hand finished, so even more than one of the same guitar make and model can have small differences between each individual guitar. Even ask if they have more in the back you can try out.. Its worth the effort to find the one that's right for you.

Theres nothing quite like a brand new guitar though :)

As a thought.. The faded series especially have a VERY thin layer of nitro and if you play a lot it will wear quite quickly.. Maybe save a bit more and take the next step up which is a 50s or 60s tribute which have (I think) finishes that will last a bit longer.. I have a 60s tribute goldtop from 2011 and the finish is still perfect (even though admittedly I don't play so much these days).

Well happy hunting and come back with pics of what you go with [thumbup]

(oh and yes, I think the 07s had Burstbucker Pros but not 100% sure about that)

Archived