Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
duane v

With..... Or Without...... That is the question

With. I like PG's cause I rest my fingers on them so it's a functional thing, but visually I think they look good and add some "dimension" to the guitar.

I think every Gibson looks better with it on.

Yassou my old friend. Pos ise?

I think it depends on the guitar. I have a highly figured top 339, but I'd still vote to have it with the pickguard. I'm know I may get some heat on Les Pauls, but I like them without the pickguard.

Go without; I think the beauty of the top more than makes up for the screwholes, which aren't all bad when you put a screw in to fill it.

When I first started playing about five years ago, I was hitting the strings like I was Thor using a 100 pound sledgehammer pick! The pick guard saved a whole lot of damage to the finish. But I love the looks of the wood so I made what you see in the picture at left. I colored the edge of the plastic to match the binding. I can make more if your interested. They are fairly easy to make.

I guess all in all I vote leave it on. Being an Gibson and not wanting to destroy that beautiful finish. It does look good both ways. I like everyone's comments but overall let us know what you decided. That's the important thing.msp_thumbup.gif

I like pickguards for a couple of reasons that may or may not be relevant, Duane...

First, I'm a pinky rester and mostly play fingerstyle - even after the left hand lessening from the stroke.

Second, I think it aids regardless in flatpick strumming more on the same plane as the strings.

I never have been a rough picker, but I did notice on my SG type that even so, I'd have light scratches on the pickguard - and that's with 8-38 strings on it since it was new in the mid '70s.

So... I keep 'em on my archtops and semis.

As far as aesthetics, yeah, that's a gorgeous guitar; there may be a better choice for pickguard, and they're available. But I Think they add something to the guitar, perhaps a bit of asymmetric "art" appearance.

m

1450125224[/url]' post='1721049']

And yet others have decided to go a different way altogether [biggrin]

2PG1.jpg

Ha, I say definitely without for that one unless your right and left handed. msp_laugh.gif

I am the practical guy, I need the pick guard to rest my little finger on then positioning my right hand for speedy pickings. Looks... I don't really see the top that much when I play...!

//Robert