Gibson Brands Forums

Doves in Flight Mystic

Twisted sister

Mystic or Exotic Rosewood is cut from areas of the tree that have convoluted grain patterns - like the stump area, branch joints. The finished wood has unusual grain patterns and looks - mystic or exotic compared to straight grained pieces. It sounds as you would expect rosewood to sound. Some shy away fearing the more twisted graining might more easily crack.

It is just a marketing trick. This type of wood is of lesser quality and not as stable as straight grained wood.

Lars

I think I would argue with that a bit. I've seen and played a number of mystic rosewood Gibsons (Songwriter, Hummingbird). The wood is amazingly beautiful and it actually shimmers when you move it in the the light. The sound is amazing too. As to being lesser quality or not stable, I'd rather hear that from a luthier. Wood grains are like human hair; it comes curly (quilt), wavy (flame) or straight and in various colors. The grain pattern depends on how the wood is cut - angle, straight, bias etc. Of course wood grain is stronger against the grain and weaker with the grain (this is why dried out spruce tops split along the grain). But to say curly wood is inherently unstable, is a bit suspect. I would be interested to be proved wrong because it goes against everything I've learned.

I don't have much knowledge in this subject, but I hope it's not just a marketing ploy for substandard wood- especially since 2 of my higher $ Gibsons have Mystic Rosewood back & sides; a Doves in Flight LE that is highly figured and an Advanced Jumbo Luthiers Choice with a little straighter grain. I have owned each less than a year and am very pleased with the sound coming out of each. So far no indication of cracking.

post-74250-090300400 1450267778_thumb.jpeg

post-74250-098458900 1450267867_thumb.jpeg

Archived