Gibson Brands Forums

Need Gibson Suggestion(s)

john e cage

Good morning,

Had a J-45 standard for about a year. Love the tone but my largish (semi-arthritic) hand cannot get used to the slim taper neck.

Looking for suggestions on another Gibson model that has similar tone and a meatier neck like my D-28 and LH-250.

Thanks,

JT

JT - keep your eyes out for a J-45 or Southern Jumbo with the "Luthiers Choice" neck. 1 3/4 width, and a slightly fuller profile. I think some of the Fuller's re-issues have this feature.

Not sure all the Luthier's Choice necks have that spec. The Luthier's Choice neck on my Fuller's 1943 SJ is about 1.80" wide at the nut, and the neck section itself is fairly shallow.

I believe the J-45 TV has a modified V-neck which the OP might find more comfortable. J-45's from between about 1948 up to the late 1950's --but not 1960 or later--have a comfortable round profile, although the nut width is only 1 11/16".

I share your appreciation for a guitar neck with substantial mass.

Somewhere out there are 50 copies of both my 1943 SJ and 1943 LG-1. Both original guitars have fantastic necks. I've played (and purchased) a copy of the LG-1 and Gibosn did a fair job of duplicating its neck. Reports are that Gibson did an equally fair job of duplicating the SJ's neck. Both are come with certicates indicating that they are 1 of 50 "Banner" guitars and bear orange, custom shop labels identifying them as LG-2 "Banner" and SJ "Banner."

• 3 weeks later...

Bad hands here too... I've been looking for a few years for a Gibson with a thick neck (not wide) at the first fret and have only found one and it did not sound good. Gibson will not make me one as they are not doing custom orders anytime soon.... so I found today that Martin makes a production model (not a custom) so they are readily available a HD16R with a modified V and 1 3/4" nut and it felt great and thank God it sounded great too... I think that I am going to have to give up on my Gibson anytime soon and get the Martin and hope that someday Gibson will take orders again. Try the Martin and good luck!

I share your appreciation for a guitar neck with substantial mass.

Somewhere out there are 50 copies of both my 1943 SJ and 1943 LG-1. Both original guitars have fantastic necks. I've played (and purchased) a copy of the LG-1 and Gibosn did a fair job of duplicating its neck. Reports are that Gibson did an equally fair job of duplicating the SJ's neck. Both are come with certicates indicating that they are 1 of 50 "Banner" guitars and bear orange, custom shop labels identifying them as LG-2 "Banner" and SJ "Banner."

There are also 50 limited 1942 J-45 "banner reisssues" floating about from the JT project. I own one of them and its a fantastic guitar, lovely thick neck (same as on the "Legend").

Good morning,

Had a J-45 standard for about a year. Love the tone but my largish (semi-arthritic) hand cannot get used to the slim taper neck.

Looking for suggestions on another Gibson model that has similar tone and a meatier neck like my D-28 and LH-250.

Thanks,

JT

Try out a J-35. It has a round profile and feels chunkier and more full than a slim taper profile. I love my J-45s, but the J-35 is a little more comfortable in my hands. I am tall with fairly large hands.

Bozz

Archived