Gibson Brands Forums

Ear infection or irritation

ksdaddy

I listen to the radio all night with earphones, the ones with the latex(?) pieces that fit tightly in the ear. I've done this for years. A couple weeks back my left ear felt swollen inside and was tender. For the next few days I only listened with the right ear when I went to bed. When it seemed to ease up I began using both earphones again.

Big mistake.

For the past 3 days my left ear has been swollen shut and I have had intense pain, both from pressure and tenderness of the ear canal itself. There's a chance it's what's known as Swimmer's Ear but I've never had any type of ear malady save for an infection in the 7th grade in 1972. I have tried every home remedy available, from a mixture of white vinegar and isopropyl alcohol to hydrogen peroxide to over the counter ear drops to warmed up olive oil to topical antibacterial cream. Right now there is very little pain but it itches to the point of me going stark raving mad. I don't want to go to the hospital for something that might just go away in another 48 hours.

It's definitely not as bad as it was yesterday, for example, but the itching and occasional stabbing pain is playing on what little sanity I have left.

The last dropperful I shot it with was 70% isopropyl alcohol. I did a little dance but it kept it quiet for a couple hours.

I will never use those type of earphones again.

If anyone has a home remedy that I haven't already tried, please share.

I hate, HATE going to the doctor. I hate having to deal with the whole healthcare thing. Hate providers, hate having to do the 1000 questions thing, hate having to make sure they billed, hate having to call them back to have them tell me why I went.

But I hate to say it, but you should go. Something is going on there. Probly an easy fix.

I kinda might think if it's convenient, (it never is), the whole ordeal might be easier if it's acting up or at it's worse...easier for them to figure out.

I agree with Stein on this one. DON'T ever mess with your ears. A quick visit to a "walk in clinic" wouldn't take much time & you don't need the cost of the ER at all. Not sure that isopropyl alcohol can't scar ear drum tissue.

Aster

I would highly suggest seeing a ear doctor too. Mainly that it nearly swelled shut. I've worn ear protection at work over 34 years. Ear plugs shoved way in to help with noise levels. They have caused ear wax to accumulate and plugged the ear so I've had to go in a lot. I've had two hearing aids for several years and they make my ears itch all the time. My last 3rd visit, they gave me Mometasone Furoate Cream USP. It's a medium potency corticosteroid cream. You rub a tiny bit on your finger tip into the ear canal twice daily and wash your hands real good afterwards. That stuff worked very well with the itching in my ears for a long time. You only need it when you notice the itching but it's not over the counter. I got it from my ear doctor.

I had this a couple of years ago with some in-ear headphones. Despite wiping them every time I started and finished using them, bacteria still resided somewhere, possibly in the hard-to-clean mesh, and gave me ear infections. Switched to on-ear and over-ear. Better sound and no infections since!

Yeah, even though it was waning, I reluctantly saw my doctor. She gave me some Cipro drops, which will also be handy if I get mailed some anthrax.

Yeah, I was given that for an inner ear inf. once (believe it was) and my jaw just about fell off when I read the info from the Pharmacy on the Anthrax. Must really be some strong stuff and I think it worked my stomach & gut over with the oral tabs. Glad you're on the mend!!!

Aster

I was healing quite well before I even went, but I took the advice of some forum members and decided to make sure it was dealt with and not take a chance on a longer lasting or worsening infection. I don't know how strong this version of Cipro is, given that it's meant to be used on delicate tissue. I used th edrops for one day and henceforth had NO symptoms but I'm using it as directed for the next week or whatever it said.

Yeah, even though it was waning, I reluctantly saw my doctor. She gave me some Cipro drops, which will also be handy if I get mailed some anthrax.

.... but I took the advice of some forum members.....

If you get Anthrax, you should still see the Doc though.

Just saying.

Archived