Gibson Brands Forums

What would you do?

Hey Folks,

I have inherited a few guitars from my father. One of them--an '81 Les Paul--I am thinking of selling in order to cover some recent gear purchases. Necessary to preserve martial peace.

The guitar currently has two modifications made to it. I am wondering if it is best to sell the guitar as is, or to attempt to bring it back to a more original condition? If you were planning to sell this guitar, would you sell it as is or first make any modifications to it in order to increase its sales value?

1) The original tuning machines have been replaced with vintage Grover tuners. Since the Grovers are smaller than the original tuning machines, the original screw holes are visible.

2) A switch was installed between the volume pots. I am not certain what the switch was used for (decoupling the volume controls?), but it is not currently wired into the circuit.

Finally, it is not clear to me whether this is a Les Paul Standard or Custom. Can anyone here confirm that?

Thanks in advance!

post-75445-073688100 1449968199_thumb.jpg

Can't comment too much on how much "origonal" matters for that year, because '81 isn't a collectible or "vintage" year. (I say "vintage" because it isn't vintage, to spite what some mis-use the term for).

But to answer your questions:

1) It won't matter what tuners you have on it, because no tuner will cover all the holes. It's had more than two other types besides what it has now. So, while the value MAY be reduced as a result of the extra holes, what tuners may just be a matter of taste.

If I was to guess, I would think what is on there now would be the most popular, and also, was common for the time to replace the stock tuners with Grovers. And If I ain't mistaken, may even be the original American Grovers, which I don't think you can get anymore.

2) No sense in plugging the holes, because even if you did, it wouldn't restore the guitar to original. No Les Paul left the factory with plugged holes. Same can be said of the holes for the tuners. The cost to do so would exceed any money you would recover.

But as for wiring it to use the switches it had at one time? Might be a good idea, especially if you have the skills to do it yourself.

Finally, while I think it was probably a mod done at some point, I can't say for sure, because I don't know what kind of guitar it is. Which answers the other question: Can't tell if it is a custom or Standard or ANYTHING by a pic of the back of the headstock. Kinda need to see a pic of the guitar, don't we?

Can't comment too much on how much "origonal" matters for that year, because '81 isn't a collectible or "vintage" year. (I say "vintage" because it isn't vintage, to spite what some mis-use the term for).

But to answer your questions:

1) It won't matter what tuners you have on it, because no tuner will cover all the holes. It's had more than two other types besides what it has now. So, while the value MAY be reduced as a result of the extra holes, what tuners may just be a matter of taste.

If I was to guess, I would think what is on there now would be the most popular, and also, was common for the time to replace the stock tuners with Grovers. And If I ain't mistaken, may even be the original American Grovers, which I don't think you can get anymore.

2) No sense in plugging the holes, because even if you did, it wouldn't restore the guitar to original. No Les Paul left the factory with plugged holes. Same can be said of the holes for the tuners. The cost to do so would exceed any money you would recover.

But as for wiring it to use the switches it had at one time? Might be a good idea, especially if you have the skills to do it yourself.

Finally, while I think it was probably a mod done at some point, I can't say for sure, because I don't know what kind of guitar it is. Which answers the other question: Can't tell if it is a custom or Standard or ANYTHING by a pic of the back of the headstock. Kinda need to see a pic of the guitar, don't we?

Thanks for the feedback. I tried to upload three photos, but looks like two exceeded the maximum upload size. Here they are scaled down. I hope it helps in identifying it. My suspicion is that it is a Standard.

post-75445-066377500 1449983469_thumb.jpg

post-75445-080101800 1449983475_thumb.jpg

Archived