Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbuckers and 57 Classics

Gibson Artist

I noticed that there are several different pickups used in 335s, from Burstbuckers to MHS to 57 Classics. What i didnt realize when i ordered my 335 was the 335s i tried before were all burstbuckers, the one i have has 57 Classics. Makes it feel kind of special to me :) But, knowing the Classics were PAF style like the Burstbuckers i knew it was a sound i would probably like and the price was right so i jumped. Boy, do i love it!! Best guitar ive ever owned. I find the difference to be the Classics seem a lil bit, jangly i believe. All in all its an AMAZING instrument, the best tone ive ever heard, i like it even better than the burstbuckers! The sustain on this guitar is absolutely phenomenal, i can play a chord or note and it seems to last like 60 seconds, unreal. Ive read Tim Shaw made some pretty good paf clones back in the 80s, anyone have one or an mhs humbuckers? Would love to hear them.

Here is Sweetwaters review of my guitar the plaintop.

The 335 is my favorite Gibson. IMO, '57 classics are Gibson's best humbucker- very round, full, and warm. However, they tend to be balanced a little more bassy, and could stand a tad better articulation. (Again, my opinion.)

I have an SG with Classic 57s, which I did love until I got my VOS LP. The pickups are much brighter, and even though I have my tone settings very trebly, the Classic 57s are just too muddy.

Andy, are the cap's the same, in both?? Sometimes, changing capacitors can effect a tonal change (good or bad), in the pickups.

I've never thought of '57's as dark or muddy. [tongue] I have 5 guitars with '57's (SG's and Les Paul's) and none of them are

muddy! So... :-k Burstbuckers ARE nice pickups, no doubt. But, since getting '57's put in my Classic LP, and having them as

"stock" pickups, in my SG's...I've never felt the need, or desire to change them....YET, anyway. [biggrin]

CB

Andy, are the cap's the same, in both?? Sometimes, changing capacitors can effect a tonal change (good or bad), in the pickups.

I've never thought of '57's as dark or muddy. [tongue] I have 5 guitars with '57's (SG's and Les Paul's) and none of them are

muddy! So... :-k Burstbuckers ARE nice pickups, no doubt. But, since getting '57's put in my Classic LP, and having them as

"stock" pickups, in my SG's...I've never felt the need, or desire to change them....YET, anyway. [biggrin]

CB

Yes Charlie, but the Capacitors only change the tone when you roll off some of the treble via the tone control. they don't have any influence on the overall sound with the tone pots on 10.

Ian

Hello!

The 57s in my LP Classic Custom sounded a bit too bright when I bought it! Changing the caps to PIOs did wonders. Now, they sound throaty and fatter. Love them.

But, I am also very curious to try the Livebuckers (AlNiCo III Custombuckers) one day.

Cheers... Bence

Yes Charlie, but the Capacitors only change the tone when you roll off some of the treble via the tone control. they don't have any influence on the overall sound with the tone pots on 10.

Ian

Actually, that's not true at all.

"10" is just the stopping point of the pot. It's 500k resistance to ground, and turning the knob gives you from 500k to 0 and everything in between (or rather, whatever the resistance of the pot measures).

Archived