Gibson Brands Forums

troubleshooting dead neck pick-up.

theshizon

hey guys. im new to the forum. WHATS UP :D/ i need a little help with my epi les paul. the neck pick up crapped out years ago and i just said f**k it and never used it! so i retubed my marshall and bought a multimeter to bias it and thought , hell i could use this to figure out my pick-up problem! (im to broke to take it in... i spent my money on tubes!) i have a little electronics experience so to make a long story short... what and where should i be running the multimeter to find out my problem? (dc mv, ac, ohm's etc???) the problem is the guitar goes dead when i switch the toggle to middle and neck. bridge works fine

thanks for taking the time to read my post and i hope you guys can help me out!

shaun

...just about anywhere... at this point you dont know (and cant figure) what is wrong with it (maybe just a bad solder) so you could start anywhere. I would just take the pickup out, check for any loose wires, and then test it with the multimeter (if there is no sign of damage to it)

Welcome to the forum... what model is your guitar exactly and how many wires/conectors does the pickup have? do you have pics? (maybe of the cavity and the pickup

No positive, no sound.

No negative, no ground.

You can check for it by using a foot length piece of wire, make your contact between the positive on your volume pot and the toggle switch.

Your other option is to check the action on the toggle switch, the contacts on one side have to match the contact action for the other pickup.

Your third option is to clean the contacts on the toggle switch, a lite swipe of fine sandpaper will do if cleaning fluid doesn't work.

Unfortunately you can't tell if they are working correctly or not while they are still in the circuit. For the pickup selector you'd have to remove all but the ground wires and with your multi meter set to ohms measure from the middle post to the each end, should measure zero. If it doesn't flip the selector to the other side. If it still doesn't its bad. To measure the pickup one end of it will have to be removed from the circuit (which you probably did in the previous step. In the ohms setting measure between the two leads. Should read somewhere between zero and infinite.

Caution, before removing any wire make a diagram of how everything is connected so you'll know how to put it back.

Archived