Gibson Brands Forums

Amp that will melt your face!

gdecant1

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/Facilities/ext/spf/index.html#[/media]

We know forum member Rocketman has worked with NASA. He also has mentioned that he has a cottage on Lake Erie. Well now we know what he plugs his guitars into when he is vacationing!!!

Melts internal organs [scared]

Sorry, not good at this! Click on the RATF button.

Ah...

"The RATF chamber is located within the Vibroacoustic Highbay, taking advantage of the 1.8 m (6 ft) thick surrounding concrete walls to help attenuate sound migration through the SPF.

The highbay also serves as redundant protection from the RATF nitrogen atmosphere during operation.

The RATF is a 2,860 m3 (101,189 ft3) reverberant acoustic chamber capable of achieving an empty-chamber acoustic overall sound pressure level (OASPL) of 163 dB."

My italics.

Holy smokes. That facility is amazing! I've been to this one at NASA Johnson:

493576main_atmospheric_01_428x535.jpg

But, wow the one at Glenn blows me away. I've heard about it through this video actually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E43-CfukEgs

But I'll need to call my buddies over there and get a tour now.

I worked at NASA Goddard, which has one of the largest cleanrooms in the world (1.3 million cubic feet). I'd take a walk over there once a week just to see stuff. At the time they were fitting Hubble parts. Here's a picture of it.

222736main_cleanroom_20080416_HI.jpg

Having been a young boy during the glory years of NASA, this stuff is a joy to see up close.

Some years back I had the pleasure of seeing the original astronaut test facilities including the giant centrifuge beneath the Plummer building at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesotta. It was like seeing all those newsreel movies come to life before my very eyes.

Thanks so much for sharing this stuff.

Ok that video was awesome [thumbup]

And rocketman - color me duly impressed! May I ask what it is you do?

Spacecraft attitude determination and controls. I worked on a number of satellites, such as TRMM, GOES, WMAP, and others. I also helped to design the James Webb Space Telescope, which will hopefully be launched someday. It's been a while. :)

Right now I'm a professor at a major research university. We're currently building a nanosatellite under the Air Force University Nanosatellite Program, and we also won the NASA CubeSat Initiative.

I've been very lucky in my career. I know Dr. Mike Griffin very well, who is the former NASA Administrator. He is a straight shooter, and by far the best systems engineer and manager I've ever met. He told me that my NASA postdoc advisor is the best analyst he's ever known. My postdoc advisor actually got all of his degrees in theoretical physics. Studying under him really upped my math skills, even with my Ph.D. in engineering. My dissertation was pretty math intense so I thought I was pretty good, but wow did he teach me a lot. He's retired now but we co-wrote a book which was published last year. I'm glad because others can learn how he did things the right way by learning from it. None of the satellites he worked on ever failed (not everyone at NASA can make that claim!).

Archived