Gibson Brands Forums

A Little Vintage Gibson Goodness

j45nick

I recognize this video. Everyone should watch it many times over. Though it should come with a warning that mere mortals will feel it's all futile. His rhythm is so steady and his tone so pure that I can't fathom ever getting close to this. This type of precision intimidates me so much that I just want to stick to electric guitars with tons of distortion and other effects to hide my incompetence.

For those of you who feel you can reach this level of mastery, by all means, go for it. The world can always use more guitar players with this level of skill. But for those of us without the chops, the first step towards recovery is admitting you don't stand a chance. [scared]

Nice video thanks for posting, I can get a lot out of that. As a side note: I saw him a couple months ago and he has to be one of the most laid back, unassuming performers I have ever seen and I have seen many over the 40 years of going to live shows. I really liked him, both the talent and the man I saw on stage.

Great vid, thanks. I saw it ages back when I watched another with him playing a vintage D18 someone gave him!

I had the luck to see his band when they were hot, and halfway though the night the lights went down and he fingerpicked 'Romeo & Juliet' on his National. Just completely stunning stuff and if I had my Dobro there with me, I would have given him that, so I can see how he got given the D18.

One of THE best things I ever did in this life is to learn to fingerpick...nowhere in his league and it has taken absolutely forever. But these days of Information Age and Internet, getting decent fingerpicking blues lessons are as simple as buying the lessons from Stefan Grossman Guitar Workshop for those who are keen. No Affiliation - they have total beginner to total exhaustion, I mean the 800 Series with exact notes of the heroes taught, transcribed, slowed down, TAB, music PDF... I mean, what else can they do to get you going except play your guitar for you! And they keep bringing out more lessons for you to go nuts. (Note: if you are a total beginner, I would go to a guitar teacher for a while at the beginning to get a leg up.)

Some more Knopfler magic:

BluesKing777.

One thing Knopfler said struck me. He said you really have to want to learn to play the guitar, and put a lot of time into it. Everything I've read about him says he was always obsessive about this, going to far as to sleep with his guitar when he was young.

I wish I had that kind of dedication, but I don't, so I'll always be a mediocre player.

I recall his story about sticking his nose up against a music shop window and staring at a red Strat. He said he had a Fender catalogue that he would have eaten if he could, he was so crazy about guitars. I reckon, like us, he is still just as crazy about them now. It's something you can never cure.

Knopfler and Chet Atkins were good friends and a "mutual admiration society" for each other....Lots of clips of them performing together on YouTube. Here's one I hadn't watched for a while. Atkins opens with a monologue on learning to play, then introduces Knopfler and lets him strut his stuff. Great artists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSdThfseSkQ

For those of you who feel you can reach this level of mastery, by all means, go for it. The world can always use more guitar players with this level of skill. But for those of us without the chops, the first step towards recovery is admitting you don't stand a chance. [scared]

Not standing a chance will be my fate forever. Two pals of mine do, and I guess myself lucky to accompany one of them on drums.

Archived