Gibson Brands Forums

Callouses

fromnabulax

Seeing the other post about top wrapping and palm muting has inspired me to ask...

Anyone else out there besides me who plays with heavier gauge strings on both acoustic, as well as electric have a heavy callous on their right hand palm?

Ever since tossing my flat picks aside some 11 years or so ago, I developed a gnarly old callous on my palm where I rest my hand on the strings. Sometimes I even need to shave the darn thing down a bit, or if it gets in the way while I am gigging, I've even gone at the monster with my teeth.

Guest Farnsbarns

Right hand callouses!?!? I'd love to have much much playing time available. I mean finger tips if you're using them as picks but not on the palm.

See the deal is, I'm self taught.

When I look at so many of my fingerpicking heroes like Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery, John Fahey, not to mention those classical guys, I see that they rest their pinkies supporting their palms above the strings down on, or around where a pick guard would be. Me? I rest my hand right on the strings, selectively muting the unpluckked strings as I go.

As for arthritis, this last summer was the worst year yet. My goodness, the truly excruciating pain in my left hand was almost unbearable at times. But hey, I gotta play!

Anyone else out there besides me who plays with heavier gauge strings on both acoustic, as well as electric have a heavy callous on their right hand palm?

Ever since tossing my flat picks aside some 11 years or so ago, I developed a gnarly old callous on my palm where I rest my hand on the strings. Sometimes I even need to shave the darn thing down a bit, or if it gets in the way while I am gigging, I've even gone at the monster with my teeth.

No right hand callouses at all. Just arthritis in the joints, middle finger and knuckle. Can't even make a fist anymore.

Could also have something to do with what you do for a living, other stuff.

We know RETIRED here does lots of "work" work.

I think Stein kinda hit it.

The only callouses on my right hand, even back when I was playing 8 hour a day on average, but mostly fingerpicking, was on my right thumb. Never cared much for thumbpicks for guitar. Banjo yes, just not guitar.

As for palm muting, certainly not to the point where it would make a callous.

HMMMM watch a bit of Leo Kottke too.

As for Arthur's Writus... I tend to resemble those remarks.

m

1450049502[/url]' post='1720764']

Could also have something to do with what you do for a living, other stuff.

We know RETIRED here does lots of "work" work.

Boy, that's the truth Stein. Way too much. I don't know where I ever found the time to go to work 10 hrs a day, 5 days a week.

I palm-mute like crazy, depending upon the song, the groove, and what's going on.

No calluses that I can declare.

But then again, I use Ultra Slinky (extra light) guitar strings on my electrics, and D'Addario Extra Light strings on my acoustics.

:)

I'm pretty much a flat picker with some dabbling in finger picking.

Never heard of a callous on the palm. I palm mute all the time.

I guess when I'm strumming hard my palm is not on the strings at all.

And I'm a light gauge guy. 9s for me.

Can't say I ever heard of a callous there.

I sometimes do what the OP does and rest my palm on the strings - both when I'm picking and strumming - to achieve a preferred sound, but don't have a callouss. Fwiw, I never use my pinky to prop up my right hand because when I took a few classical guitar lessons a few years ago, was told the pinky is a picker and needs to be ready to play at all times, when playing a five-finger ripple for example.

I've never heard such an excuse for a callous on the palm!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Guest Farnsbarns

My right hand is so firmly on the bridge that there's a little spot that remains shiny and on the edge it's worn through to the copper in 3 years but no callous.

Archived