Gibson Brands Forums

wrist/hand pain?

guitar309

has anyone experienced any wrist or hand pain when playing? I just wanted to know what causes this? I have worked on proper hand positioning and guitar placement.. but no relief....

I am not trying to sell anyone a product or anything or spam or any of that crap.. but you should checkout these wrist wraps.. I have been using them and they have been giving me some great relief... in fact thats one of the reasons I am mentioning this.. its a product that I feel saved my career and that I believe in look up tendinitis and carpal tunnel for musicians online.. its a serious problem.. thats why you should always strech before you play...

but anyway.. here is the link.. if anyone else is having this problem you should check it out.. don't have to buy them.. lol but I just wanted to show everyone.. I think they offer a money back guarantee also... so here you go

www.newgrip.com/musician.html

If it becomes chronic, hand pain and or numbness is serious business and not to be ignored. After playing for 46 years (shut up), which included enough formal study to know proper technique I suddenly developed "trigger thumb" in my left hand, and carpal tunnel in both. Two surgeries last year to relieve the trigger thumb issue, and a carpal release on the left wrist. The carpal surgery required weeks of rehab, during which playing guitar was difficult to impossible. Surgery TBD on the right. A couple of tips, gently stretch you hands during warm up and do some practical warm up exercises before you do anything severe, and don't have your axe strapped so low that your left wrist gets into a severely bent angle. Forget the vibe, look at it as a long distance run.

thanks sok66 ... that right there is why people should talk a serious look at this problem! as soon as I started having problems I tried to correct my playing and got the wrist straps... I also started using this companys lifting gloves to.. I workout a lot and any time I lift heavy or do pull ups my hands get so fatigued and sore It makes playing hard.. that is why I have been praising this company so much.. lol... Its one of the best products I have found for my playing in a long time.. lol

My picking hand is my writing hand. About 13 yrs ago, started getting CT. Also happened to take up Martial Arts for other reasons. MA activity worked out the CT without medical intervention. HOWEVER, arthritis is still an issue, esp. in knuckles, so I wouldn't mind trading warm up tips on this too.

Good advice on gentle stretching and warming up. I would add that pain obviously indicates damage which requires rest. I find that soaking hands in warm water improves blood flow and loosens up the muscles. I caused damage to my hands by a lot of heavy braking through high mileage cycling. It took a couple of months to return to normal.

EDITED, I was looking at another product and mixed them up in my head while posting... this product actually looks good (for preventing, I dont know what to think about "curing" becasue Ive suffered this thing for a year now and have never used that product... maybe I should?):)

Thundergod... could you link some of the reviews you found on google?? I would like to read them and see what they say =D> I also lift a lot and do mma and all the reviews I can come by on bodybuilding.com and some of the larger forums all the reviews where positive... but those are talking about the wrist supports with the lifting pads also...

I would like to see some of the reviews that you have found... I tried looking for some but no luck.. thanks...

I tried searching new grip reviews.... new grip guitar reviews... new grip wrist support reviews.... new grip money back guarantee .... I can't find anything? what did you look up? I am not arguing I would just like to read what other users said about this? I love them... I guess some people can like them and some people don't... ooo well.. just wanted to see these reviews... because after ordering mine the owner alan was very nice and emailed me.. told me if there where any problems to let him know.. and I have emailed him back and forth for a while about wrist problems and lifting problems... seems like a great guy....

Sorry man! I was checking for another product (related to this one) and found lots of bad reviews... I dont know why I mixed both product up and posted my previous post!!!

The product with bad reviews (and that didnt give the money back) was the "carpal tunnel solution" or "carpal solution". Look it up with google and you'll find those reviews...

Sorry.

Ill go back and edit my post now.

Sorry to hear this. Not just my hands but I try and sit up straight when on a bus, walk straight (don't laugh!) and generally take care of my posture.

I have a massage on my upper body, hands/arms once a month and have found this has really helped my technique and also keep me focussed!

Matt

i played guitar slung really low for most of my childhood, then moved it up to george harrison beatles era level. this caused (or aggravated) a trapped ulnar nerve in my fretting hand, meaning numbness and shooting pains.

moved down to not quite lowslung again, and it stopped. strange world...

Archived