Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
David Thornton

Buzz Lighyear

Dear all. My new 2016 LP Standard sounded great at its first gig outing on Saturday evening. However, I have noticed when I play it unplugged that I get some buzzing on the E and B strings (usually higher up the neck), most noticeably when I play single notes (say eighth fret and higher). Any ideas what this might be, and is it something that can be fixed...

Thanks

David

It's impossible to say for sure but it would appear that your truss-rod / neck-relief needs attention.

It might settle down after a few days - or not.

If you don't know how to do it yourself take it back to the dealership and ask them to set it up to your preferences.

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

It could be a fretboard bump at the neck/body join. Not uncommon on les Pauls due to the single action truss rod effectively squashing the neck. If it's one of them it can generally be accounted for in a fret level.

All three LPs I have had some minor buzz issues but nothing major..it all depends on how important it is to you. Of course, major buzz should be addressed. The frets you're mentioning are actually normal for most LPs IMO..Now, if those buzz even when doing light strumming and if it's noticable through the amp, well I guess that's a problem..

I'm wondering if the Fret Board length matches what you are use to playing and maybe it is technique, I tend to get a little buzz when I short finger the fret, in other words my finger is not close enough to the fret for the note I'm trying to play. Just a thought.

Thanks for your comments, guys... It's not really a big issue (though I had shelled out a lot of cash, so was a little annoyed to have the buzzing). Certainly not heard when plugged in, and had no effect at last Saturday's gig...

I must say, owning a Les Paul is a bit of an experience for me: I'm not someone who usually polishes his shoes or cleans his car regularly, but I did find myself polishing the LP post-gig on Sunday with the little cloth they gave. My wife thought it was hilarious!

^^Yeah..you'll do that for a month or so and then you'll just stop.. :D

BTW, as for the buzzing..I believe I heard some buzzing on one of the Slash's live gigs. He was playing Anastasia on one of his double necks (acoustic) and you could sorta hear it when he was doing a solo (probably because he was picking it hard. Nothing major but it was there. And it it was kinda cool. Basically, it's a normal thing IMO (to certain extent of course)...

Dear all. My new 2016 LP Standard sounded great at its first gig outing on Saturday evening. However, I have noticed when I play it unplugged that I get some buzzing on the E and B strings (usually higher up the neck), most noticeably when I play single notes (say eighth fret and higher). Any ideas what this might be, and is it something that can be fixed...

First!

How long have you had it?

I mean if it's less than a month you need to break it in first and let it settle before starting to adjust stuff.

Second!

When all that's done it sounds as it could benefit of a proper setup job by an experienced luthier. That is, if you're not up to the job yourself.

wait, you're talking about an electric guitar, right?

so if you only hear the buzzing unplugged why even care? sounds like a non issue to me.

also, don't take me wrong when i say this -

it could be all in your head.

i say this because yesterday a friend came over with her gibby that she never plays. (her #1 is a parker fly from back in the day. a really nice one, too) she says "every time i play this guitar, i hate the way the E string sounds so twangy. also, i hate the way it plays, can you do a set up?" well, it's an SG, and they are thin bodied, so, maybe. i played it to see/hear for myself. i never heard twangy. i heard pure unadulterated, no-holds barred, rock and roll sweetness. i normally don't care for SGs, but this one was different. it played great, sounded wonderful. i doubt this guitar could be set up better than it already is. it's that nice. but to her, the low E sounds twangy.

Thanks again... engineer: I've only had the guitar for a couple of weeks, so I'll follow your advice and wait before taking any action...and as Kuma says, not so important (though I do slip in the odd practice unplugged).

Hello!

Farnsbarns nailed it. The very typical fretboard issue on Les Pauls is that the truss rod has no effect on the entire length of the neck. It is due to neck joint type and results a hump at the end of the fretboards. It causes buzzing right from the 8th, up to the last frets. As You move up it gets constantly worser, eventually having dead spots on low-E and A strings. Adjusting the rod for bigger relief or raising action helps, however if You prefer low action fret levelling is needed. A fretboard rocker and a straightedge is an essential tool if You play a Les Paul.

You can find more about this issue in the "Repair" section of the Forums. We have discussed this problem with member Kidblast some time ago, in my thread about fret levelling.

Good luck... Bence

Hello again!

Let me share a fresh story. Not necessarily related to the problem discussed here. Anyways, I though I should tell it here, to point out to the importance of thinking about string suspension as a complete system.

During the holidays, I decided to set up my '78 Les Paul Recording. It had buzzing and intonation issues. After evaluating it's condition, I have registered the following problems: the neck developed a slight relief (a bit over acceptable), it had some serious fret wear around 5th to 9th frets. Also, the Allparts harmonica bridge's saddles were too wide along the direction of strings (too big string contact point).

I set the neck back to straight, leveled/crowned and polished the frets. Meanwhile, I have slotted the bridge properly - just like a nut needs to be: flat but minimal contact point for the strings with a slight ramp to give clearance for the strings towards the tailpiece.

Cleaned and strung Her up. Stretched in the strings properly. But to my disappointment, the low-E was still buzzing terribly from 7th to 15th fret. I have checked the frets with a fretboard rocker: all frets were nicely in level. Then, I have checked the neck bow: minimal relief added by string pressure, just as I like it.

So, the only thing left to inspect is the nut. At first glance, it looked good. The close observation with a magnifier revealed that the low-E slot was a bit wide. Nothing that one could see with bare eyes: it was just a hair wider than normal! It's height was perfect.

I have cleaned the slot with 140-grit sandpaper, and poured some baking soda over it. A drop of superglue on it hardened it up. I cut a new slot in place of the worn one.

The buzz is gone and the instrument intonates perfectly. No dead spots, sounds articulated at all frets.

Best wishes... Bence