Gibson Brands Forums

Standard neck profile

callen3615

Hi, I have been contemplating the standard. I played one today in gc. The neck might as well have had Louisville slugger engraved in it. It was a bat. I played the faded, the neck was thinner. I had 2 guys that worked there check it out, they agreed with me. Isnt the neck supposed to be the same on the faded and the standard????

Hi' date=' I have been contemplating the standard. I played one today in gc. The neck might as well have had Louisville slugger engraved in it. It was a bat. I played the faded, the neck was thinner. I had 2 guys that worked there check it out, they agreed with me. Isnt the neck supposed to be the same on the faded and the standard????[/quote']

same neck

I own a standard and a faded special, the specials neck joint is 1/4 inch thinner, the neck itself feels thinner also but haven't bothered to measure it. At the heel the standards neck join is almost flush with the body, the special has a 1/4" step.

Lol dude, they just hand sand those necks, maybe sum1 had their first day and they kinda made a 59 les paul neck.

Or... you could think of it this way: A 59 les paul and a 335 went into a guitar repair shop and they liked each other's sunburst, and whenever a man loves a women they get it on... I prefer to think of it that way... Much more... Organic..

Try out a bunch of SG Standards. Eventually you'll find the one that fits you. The more you play any guitar, regardless of neck profile, the more you'll get used to it. Thicker necks have a nice feel to them, and my hands aren't very big. I can bend strings better with a thicker neck and it helps with sustain a bit too.

Try out a bunch of SG Standards. Eventually you'll find the one that fits you. The more you play any guitar' date=' regardless of neck profile, the more you'll get used to it. Thicker necks have a nice feel to them, and my hands aren't very big. I can bend strings better with a thicker neck and it helps with sustain a bit too. [/quote']

I went to gc five minutes ago. They only have one standard, but I am willing to adapt.

The original (real) '61s had the wide fingerboard and thin profile common to that year. The necks got progressively chunkier, and narrower at the nut as the 60s wore on. AS I noted in another thread, the PRS "wide - thin" neck profile is a direct lift from the earliest Les Paul SGs.

The original (real) '61s had the wide fingerboard and thin profile common to that year. The necks got progressively chunkier' date=' and narrower at the nut as the 60s wore on. AS I noted in another thread, the PRS "wide - thin" neck profile is a direct lift from the earliest Les Paul SGs. [/quote']

really? my next investment may be a PRS

Hi' date=' I have been contemplating the standard. I played one today in gc. The neck might as well have had Louisville slugger engraved in it. It was a bat. I played the faded, the neck was thinner. I had 2 guys that worked there check it out, they agreed with me. Isnt the neck supposed to be the same on the faded and the standard????[/quote']

Keep trying different ones.

I found a used '98 SG Standard a few months ago that just felt sooo good in my hands (short fingers). I decided to measure the neck for grins... And as I suspected, it came out very slim... Somewhere between a '61 RI and Angus sig model actually. I was quite happy with my find! I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

my '98 SG Standard:

width nut: 1.656

width 12th: 2.000

thick 1st: 0.781

thick 12th: 0.875

(From everythingsg.com http://www.everythingsg.com/current_models.htm )

Standard:

width nut: 1-11/16 (1.6875)

width 12th: 2.062

thick 1st: 0.818

thick 12th: 0.963

'61 RI:

width nut: 1.6875

width 12th: 2.062

thick 1st: 0.800

thick 12th: 0.895

Angus model:

width nut: 1.625

width 12th: 2.032

thick 1st: 0.775

thick 12th: 0.875

cheers

Could be bad luck but the two at my local shop (SG faded) both have terrible thick necks.

That would not neccesarily be a bad thing as some people like thick necks but, from what I have heard, there could be significant variation from individual guitar to guitar.

To me that is a sign of bad quality control.

The necks I have seen also have very poor finish, sharp frets and so on. Another sign of poor QC.

On the basis of what I have seen, I would NEVER buy an SG online. You really do need to go and pick !

the ONE

Could be bad luck but the two at my local shop (SG faded) both have terrible thick necks.

That would not neccesarily be a bad thing as some people like thick necks but' date=' from what I have heard, there could be significant variation from individual guitar to guitar.

To me that is a sign of bad quality control.

The necks I have seen also have very poor finish, sharp frets and so on. Another sign of poor QC.

On the basis of what I have seen, I would NEVER buy an SG online. You really do need to go and pick !

[b'][/b]the ONE

I would never buy ANY guitar online... It's something you must feel in your hands before buying, otherwise, it's really just a crap shoot.

I would never buy ANY guitar online... It's something you must feel in your hands before buying' date=' otherwise, it's really just a crap shoot.

[/quote']

The trouble is that you can often get a much better deal (and the actual guitar you are looking for) online.

Some brands/models seem to be worse than others in terms of variation from guitar to guitar. The cheaper Epiphones for example have a terrible reputation for it. It is just a shame that a top-dollar brand like Gibson cant get it together to build guitars that are consistently within close tolerances of the spec.

I took a close look at both the special and standard and although the neck joint is thinner, the profile itself feels and looks about the same. I think the gloss finish and binding on the standard make it appear to be beefier, but in my hands they feel about the same.

There will be minute discrepancies in thickness though, depending on who finished it at the factory but I just can't see that as being major enough to make you hate a guitar because it's neck is .0001" thicker.

As for buying without playing first, I will say I couldn't be happier with my online purchase of my standard. I saved a nice chunk of change and recieved a pristine guitar thats been untouched since the factory set up. I suppose if your extra finicky and it didn't feel just right to you, you could always return it. All the major sources take them back for exchange.

My faded special I bought new at GC. No telling the abuse it recieved prior to my purchase. No laquer new guitar smell either :(

Archived