Gibson Brands Forums

Help Dating Les Paul Deluxe - No Serial number

dizzy1775

Help Dating Les Paul Deluxe - No Serial number

Hi I am looking for help on this Les paul. No Serial, doesn't say Les Paul on Headstock, tuners replaced, pot codes appear to be from 1984 (R1378412). Is this a frankenstein?CWNTzrAUEAAS09_.jpgCWNTzq3U8AAFQjj.jpgCWNTzo9UYAAf-PV.jpgCWNTzpYUkAAvANq.jpgCWNT60vU8AAa49B.jpg

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

As it's being a '72-'75 model, never mind the missing 6-digit serial. It wouldn't help much with dating the guitar.

The silk-screened "Les Paul model" logo is missing. Still a very nice guitar.

Best wishes... Bence

...the les pauls seem extra hard for noobs :)...

The '70s were extra hard for Gibson to account for at the time let alone noobs 40 years down the line.

Am I the only fool who can't work out to see the snaps??

:-k

Pip.

I'm not an expert.

This reminds me of a 70s mini-hb LP I used to know....! Which had been stripped to the wood from black and revarnished.

The body here looks similarly stripped and obviously there are questions about the neck and headstock.

Perhaps it was refinished but why take off the serial? And did they paint over the silk-screen logo - why would anyone take that off?

... there are questions about the neck and headstock.

Perhaps it was refinished but why take off the serial?

Hard to know, but maybe back in the 70's before the era of inflated vintage guitar prices (or vintage guitars, period) and the coming of Chibsons, the serial number might have been about as relevant and exciting to the owner as a barcode sticker would be for us today - i.e I'm refinishing the headstock and I'll get rid of that ugly number stamp while I'm at it...?

A couple points:

I am 99% sure the guitar has been refinished. Maybe 97%. OK, I'm sure. "Clear" or natural wasn't a color option for these, in this period.

JDGM is correct, in that it was kinda common for these of this "era" to be refined, particularly in natural.

Without getting my books, the combo of 3 piece mahogany neck, and pancake body were only available for certain years. These features will narrow it down. Other than that, I don't know any other details that changed, or could narrow it further.

Pot codes: this guitar is NOT 1984. That pot has been replaced. Finding the codes on the other pots, if they fit the dates this guitar was available, will give you a "not sooner than" date.

Other than that, don't think you will get closer to an actual date. If I find a book I can look in, I can find the range, but don't hold your breath. Maybe someone else will have it?

Archived