Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guitar_randy

AC/DC Tour Extended

Love the Bon Scott era, really could not care less about the Brian Johnson era. BIB is one of the most over rated albums of all time IMO. I never need to hear Shook Me All Night Long ever again.

Yeah, my favourites were TNT, Dirty Deeds, Let There be Rock and Powerage, but basically all the Bon stuff. I think Bon's role in the song writing became clear a few years after he died - the Young bros have a strong rock riff and blues lead formula but Bon brought something special to the song writing process. I disagree overall on BIB - I think there was enough momentum from the Bon era that was still driving through that album and even bits of For Those... I still love the long intro to Hells Bells like the first time I heard it as a kid. You Shook Me suffers from overexposure just like Stairway to Heaven and Hotel California - not much you can do about radio play lists.

Love the Bon Scott era, really could not care less about the Brian Johnson era. BIB is one of the most over rated albums of all time IMO. I never need to hear Shook Me All Night Long ever again.

Ok Debbie Downer

Ok Debbie Downer

Yea!

I like the Bon era too, but he died. Not much can be done about that.

There is a LOT I like about Mr. Johnson as far as what he does for the band. He has a stronger voice, his timing is better (better than a lot of others), and he belts it out in ways Bon never really could. Basically, I think he rocks more.

Back in Black isn't just one of AC/DC's best, it's one of the best rock albums by anyone.

Also, perhaps the best recorded use of the Marshall stack and that type of sound.

The song that first got me into ACDC was a Brian era song.. I still love it.... And some of the other songs here and there in the 80s and later.. But I LOVE all of the Bon era......

Just my opinion. Powerage is the bomb. AC/DC's zenith.

Yep, I concur, my friend. Mutt Lange tried to smooth off their rough edges, but all he did was tone down their grit. No solo longer than about 20 seconds. Listen to Let There Be Rock solo - it just goes on for ever! Mutt would never have allowed that.

When Bon died, the humour and wit died with him.

Ain't No Fun waiting around to be a millionaire , first tune i heard from my older brother cassette.

When the song hit's this part, my Hi-Fi is always cranked. It's perfect [biggrin]

Just you wait

One of these days see me driving round town

In my Rock 'n' Rolls Royce with the sun roof down

My bottle of booze, no summer time blues

Shouting out, "Look at me"

In my rock 'n' roll voice

No it ain't no fun, yeah

Waiting round to be a millionaire

No it ain't no fun

Waiting round to be a millionaire

Mutt is a fool. He cheated on Shania Twain. I loath her music but, she is easy on the eyes. If I was nicknamed Mutt and had a smokin' hot wife like that, man o man. Insert obscene though here____________________________.

She's a friggin livin doll. I used to have a calendar of her in my office, like, in the 90s. She did some shows in Vegas this year and I watched them on the cable there. She has pretty much gotten over her stage problems and her ex husband problems, and MAN she still gots it. Good songs that he helped write and arrange too, so he at least gets that much.

I don't think I'd be able to talk if I ever met her.

If I was ever lucky enough to meet Mutt Lange the great producer, I would sincerely kick his dumb a$$. "DUDE" whomp "HER BEST" whomp whomp "FRIEND?" whomp "SERIOUSLY?" whompity whomp whomp "HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED AT HER??? LISTENED TO HER RECORDS??" WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP

ACDC is a cover band of themselves now anyway. I shoulda gone 30 years ago but I didn't.

rct

ACDC is a cover band of themselves now anyway. I shoulda gone 30 years ago but I didn't.

rct

I did.

They rocked.

Hey thanks man!

You're welcome.

That was nice of you. I was prolly at Duran Duran or Adam Ant or Billy Idol show. They were all outstanding as well.

rct

Were you wearing parachute pants and muscle t-shirt when you saw DD?

I laughed really hard.

But no, I remember what I was wearing, and it was pretty close to what John Taylor was wearing for the kind of shirt(blouse) that buttoned diagonally, I gigged that shirt a lot back then. And Calvins. Always Calvins. And a leather jacket, but fine leather, they were no longer just bombers and they were no longer Marlon Brando, they had become a fashion of their own, so it was pretty sexy.

Good times.

rct

Yea!

There is a LOT I like about Mr. Johnson as far as what he does for the band. He has a stronger voice, his timing is better (better than a lot of others), and he belts it out in ways Bon never really could. Basically, I think he rocks more.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but it's nice to see some positive comments about Brian Johnson for a change. I would also say Brian is the more professional of the two as he rarely sings out of tune, whereas Bon regularly missed notes quite badly (even on record). I love both eras of AC/DC, but it was the 1992 Live album version of Highway to Hell that got me into them originally. Many people love the Bon period and disregard anything after his death, however, not only was Back In Black an excellent record, but For Those About to Rock, Flick of The Switch, Ballbreaker & Stiff Upper Lip are up there with any albums from the Bon period. Fly on the Wall is a really good album too - just listen to the first notes of the solo on the title track and that's one of my favourite Angus moments.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but it's nice to see some positive comments about Brian Johnson for a change. I would also say Brian is the more professional of the two as he rarely sings out of tune, whereas Bon regularly missed notes quite badly (even on record). I love both eras of AC/DC, but it was the 1992 Live album version of Highway to Hell that got me into them originally. Many people love the Bon period and disregard anything after his death, however, not only was Back In Black an excellent record, but For Those About to Rock, Flick of The Switch, Ballbreaker & Stiff Upper Lip are up there with any albums from the Bon period. Fly on the Wall is a really good album too - just listen to the first notes of the solo on the title track and that's one of my favourite Angus moments.

I often wonder if it was the other way around, Brian first and then Bon, if there would be those that would feel it supposed to be Brian.

I think, both are great. I don't feel the need to say one is better. But the REAL truth is without both of them, we would all be missing out on a lot of great music.

For me, the transition was pretty seamless...didn't notice a different "era", especially when Back in Black came out followed by Dirty Deeds. I also don't remember comparing who was better or which album was better, but rather, being really excited to have a new record from them as the last WOULD get over-played to the point of wanting more.

One thing I DO remember though, is hearing "For Those About to Rock" when it first came out on the radio. Don't know how I can explain how it felt to be rocked so hard, but if that doesn't do it, it would be a mystery how the mind works and where the rock part of the brain would be blocked or missing a piece.

I think there was something of a larrikin in Bon that appealed to me!

Never took to Brian but then I was around when ACADACA were still doing gigs in high schools around Melbourne close to where I lived, and then it was all Bon naturally.

I seem to have infected my kids with a love for them and also some of my grand children.

It really depends on who you grew up with Bon or Brian I think and for me that is firmly Bon.

Each to their own of course.

images_zpshvobkurq.jpegimages-2_zpsq9od4s9u.jpeg

I like Brian - he seems like a lovely bloke in interviews and very humble, but I just reckon the songs were better with Bon and he had some special magic. I did like Back in Black, For those About to Rock and Flick of the Switch, but very little after that (i.e for the past 30 years!) which is strange to say when they were my absolute favourite band as a kid and still what I consider the ultimate hard rock band.

I wonder if there's a parallel with Van Halen - another band where the guitarist was in many ways bigger than the vocalist. Again the larrikin diamond Dave is replaced by a more polished vocalist in Sammy Hagar - and some folks love Dave's stuff and some Sammy's. is that a fair comparison?

ps - a little aside: the boys rehearsing- and who of us haven't been here - several attempts to teach the new kid on drums where to come in on the intro, stuffing around getting set up, singer can't hit the note and struggles to read his lyric sheet, and even the normally unflappable rhythm guitarist fluffs a note (true - just after 6 mins!)... the joys of rehearsal eh [biggrin] but oh man, those JMPs! [drool]

Not to get back on track. Isn't Angus the only original member of the band still with them. I am so tired of acts doing that. There is a time to ride off into the sunset and bow out gracefully and theirs was long ago IMHO.

I don't really understand your..hate?, for some of these things. It's almost like you take offence to it personally.

Malcolm wants them to go on, the fans still want to see them, what's wrong with that?

We ALL will lose a step here and there with age, but we also get better in some ways. Not to mention, things change. Some people die, some get arrested. Some just want to hang it up, some want to keep playing.

If we all take the philosophy that if we loose a step, we would all be retired at about 35. Younger would not learn from the older. But just as well, if we take the philosophy one should step down when someone better can replace them, it hasn't happened yet with AC/DC, has it?

Feel free to step in...I won't stop ya!

I think there was something of a larrikin in Bon that appealed to me!

Never took to Brian but then I was around when ACADACA were still doing gigs in high schools around Melbourne close to where I lived, and then it was all Bon naturally.

images_zpshvobkurq.jpegimages-2_zpsq9od4s9u.jpeg

I can certainly understand that. Bon had a certain...humor?..that was ever-present in the way he made lyrics and delivered a tune. And having been that close to see and "feel" a band that early on in more intimate settings.

Around here (when I used to go out), bands would switch it up between each other like a girl changes her shoes. So I get to see the same folks, just in different settings and bands. But some line-ups I would wish for again. And sometimes, when someone disappears, or even dies, I miss them and their music.

Sometimes, SOMETIMES, someone can and will step in who is able to keep the same magic, and thus, keep that line-up going.

Had a good friend, who lost a good amount of hearing in one of his ears. One night, he got into it and got punched there, got his hearing back. Perhaps, if you could find it in you to give Brian a chance, they might cure your tinnitus?

I can certainly understand that. Bon had a certain...humor?..that was ever-present in the way he made lyrics and delivered a tune. And having been that close to see and "feel" a band that early on in more intimate settings.

Around here (when I used to go out), bands would switch it up between each other like a girl changes her shoes. So I get to see the same folks, just in different settings and bands. But some line-ups I would wish for again. And sometimes, when someone disappears, or even dies, I miss them and their music.

Sometimes, SOMETIMES, someone can and will step in who is able to keep the same magic, and thus, keep that line-up going.

Had a good friend, who lost a good amount of hearing in one of his ears. One night, he got into it and got punched there, got his hearing back. Perhaps, if you could find it in you to give Brian a chance, they might cure your tinnitus?

Chuckle...thanks for the thought but it doesn't quite work like that. After this thread I listened to a bit of AC/DC last night but then returned to my favourite, Blues.

I have to be in the mood for ACADACA these days! (local name for our Melbourne boys)