Gibson Brands Forums

54 J45 Side Repair

duluthdan

http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm/home/1/newlisting/1/image/6

Cannot get this image to load into photo bucket. A 1954 J-45 at Willies has a side repair. I have no clue what this might have been anybody? Its the 5th pic in t6he string.

http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm/home/1/newlisting/1/image/6

I have an interest in this guitar - will be in MN next week and hope to swing n and see it.

Dan, looks like something was definitely installed... and removed. Weird dowel pattern for very large screws....

If no one here can answer head over to UMGF Vintage section.

AB it against some others when you get there... like the 1966 D18 (which has a real low saddle... reset needed?) and let us know how she sounds! Merry Christmas.

The pickguard also is probably not original. The side repair of what must have been a huge jack plate is poorly done. Otherwise the guitar looks decent, so it will come down to how it sounds and plays. Break angle at the saddle looks good, but check the action height.

The guitar has no collector value due to the repairs, overspray, and refinish, but could prove to be a really good musical instrument. You have to weigh that against a modern J-45 to decide if it's a guitar for you. Look inside carefully for loose braces, etc.

It's decent in the mojo department,

Dan, Dan, Dan. Why do we do it? Certainly the price is right. It's no secret Willie's has no reservations about asking top-dollar for their offerings; if this guitar were anywhere else, it would be substantially less. As one who has expressed genuine trepidation about wading in too deep into vintage waters, you sure know how to pick 'em! There is little reason to doubt Willie's statement that all necessary work is done, so all there is to be done at this point is to sit down and play the guitar. There are some other very interesting old Gibsons currently in Willie's inventory- something is bound to sound really nice there. Apart from a side crack repair from around the tail pin through the lower bout side, the guitar in question has obviously sustained some major injury to the treb side of the lower bout (perhaps a jack tear-out...we'd love to see a pic inside, as the top also appears to have some repair there), hopefully this guitar is the better sounding of the bunch.

Looking forward to your in-hand impressions.

Dan, Dan, Dan. Why do we do it? Certainly the price is right. It's no secret Willie's has no reservations about asking top-dollar for their offerings; if this guitar were anywhere else, it would be substantially less. As one who has expressed genuine trepidation about wading in too deep into vintage waters, you sure know how to pick 'em! There is little reason to doubt Willie's statement that all necessary work is done, so all there is to be done at this point is to sit down and play the guitar. There are some other very interesting old Gibsons currently in Willie's inventory- something is bound to sound really nice there. Apart from a side crack repair from around the tail pin through the lower bout side, the guitar in question has obviously sustained some major injury to the treb side of the lower bout (perhaps a jack tear-out...we'd love to see a pic inside, as the top also appears to have some repair there), hopefully this guitar is the better sounding of the bunch.

Looking forward to your in-hand impressions.

That was quite a while back, 62 - any of Dan's trepidation about vintage Gibsons now appears to have become an addiction to the vintage Gibson sound....... [biggrin]

A decent luthier could probably make that side repair at least look better, maybe a slither of mahogany over it and smoothed, or even a big smily face sticker.

BluesKing777.

Thanks for the input gents. Tom - I love your 53. This guitar may have a shaved bridge - according to info I have - and this to me places the guitar in possible neck re-set territory. In my recent experience ith the '57 J-50, I have to consider a possible additional $1,000 + for this guitar. That spins the deal into $4,000 + territory. It may be an interesting visit. A few months ago I did stop in and played the two'48s that were there. Very good, but not priced in my wheelhouse.

A few months ago I did stop in and played the two'48s that were there. Very good, but not priced in my wheelhouse.

That sums up the way prices seem to be at Willie's judging from the listings I have seen on his website: nice guitars, but pricey.

I owned a '52 J-45 that was in better shape than this one and paid a bit more. Ended up I hated the sound. More old than vintage. Sold it and took a slight hit. Now I got a deal on a '64 J-45 and I'm happy. Much better vintage tone. Don't let the year deafen you from the tone as it did myself. Lots of guitars out there to overpay. Be patient and a deal shall present itself.

Just my 2 cents.

I owned a '52 J-45 that was in better shape than this one and paid a bit more. Ended up I hated the sound. More old than vintage. Sold it and took a slight hit. Now I got a deal on a '64 J-45 and I'm happy. Much better vintage tone. Don't let the year deafen you from the tone as it did myself. Lots of guitars out there to overpay. Be patient and a deal shall present itself.

Just my 2 cents.

I can pretty much guarantee tha I will not fall for this one because of its age and good looks. [biggrin] With the condition it is in, if it doesn't have outstanding tone, it will not make the cut. If I get there in a couple of week, and it is gone, my heart will not be broken.

Archived