Gibson Brands Forums

I need a NSD

daveinspain

I'm going in a few minutes to pick up a guitar I just had some work done on; a Les Paul Studio I bought used that played okay, but had a few iffy spots on the neck. I had the frets dressed and full pro setup done by a local luthier. The anticipation is as great as with a new guitar. If you have never treated yourself to a full professional setup (some of you guys can do this yourself, but I just don't have a place to work or the tools), it's a good way to spend less and still have the feel of a new guitar, while making improvements to the old herd.

GAS… I need a new something day...

Whatever you need - I'm sure we can talk you into it. [biggrin]

How about a new coffee mug - like this one:

breaking_point_mugs.jpg?side=Back&color=White&height=460&width=460&qv=90

I'm going in a few minutes to pick up a guitar I just had some work done on; a Les Paul Studio I bought used that played okay, but had a few iffy spots on the neck. I had the frets dressed and full pro setup done by a local luthier. The anticipation is as great as with a new guitar. If you have never treated yourself to a full professional setup (some of you guys can do this yourself, but I just don't have a place to work or the tools), it's a good way to spend less and still have the feel of a new guitar, while making improvements to the old herd.

[thumbup]

GAS… I need a new something day...

No Dave, you're substituting "Need" for "Want!" [flapper][biggrin]

I've done that same thing! And, even to the opposite, I'll, sometimes,

entertain the notion of "thinning the herd," UNTIL I get out one of my

"treasures," and actually play it, once again! It's quite often amazing,

how just doing that, quells any "GAS," or thoughts of abandonment. Some

thing I haven't played, in some time, becomes the shiny new toy, and/or

I fall in love with it, all over again, and wonder why it took me so long

to get back to it.

Just a thought. :unsure: [biggrin]

CB

I really don't wish to derail your GAS, Dave, but ever since I saw this snap (and the ensuing repartee withCB) this does it for me...

No Dave, you're substituting "Need" for "Want!"...

Something I haven't played, in some time... I fall in love with it, all over again, and wonder why it took me so long to get back to it.

Just a thought...

cbd04b3196027b223f82a2efdd08a587_zps2rtpdu7r.jpg

What about one of these, Dave (and CB)?

I'm not a fan of gold hardware. I'm not massively enamoured over block inlays. I've always considered 355's to be far too big and I never use a vibrato.

Nothing here fits in with what I "like" but for some odd reason that thing is just about the most beautiful guitar I've seen for years and years...

Pip.

I really don't wish to derail your GAS, Dave, but ever since I saw this snap (and the ensuing repartee withCB) this does it for me...

I'm not a fan of gold hardware. I'm not massively enamoured over block inlays. I've always considered 355's to be far too big and I never use a vibrato.

Nothing here fits in with what I "like" but for some odd reason that thing is just about the most beautiful guitar I've seen for years and years...

Pip.

You know, YOU have "cruel" streak, Pippy! [flapper][biggrin] I HAD one of those, in 1969! And sold it, in '72 when I stopped playing (for 30 years)!

I have never regretted selling a guitar, so much, since! It was, indeed, a true beauty, both in appearance, and tone! (Heavy Sigh) [crying][crying][crying]

CB

1450221392[/url]' post='1721541']

Pip.

Yep, I'd take that one! msp_flapper.gif

I'm not into the 335 but that one is stunning… Now if you really want to get the juices flowing post pics of an ES 175… I'm at the point where I might consider trading my Johnny A. for one… Specially if it's a Steve Howe signature, my Johnny A. would be gone, sorry Johnny...

...if you really want to get the juices flowing post pics of an ES 175…....Specially if it's a Steve Howe signature...

Newish member windhoek just picked up an ES-175 '59 Re-Issue for under £2k......the fortunate bugger....

IMG_1288_zpsg1orubnu.jpg

Whaddya reckon, Dave; Give it House-Room or Out-With-the-Trash?...

[smile]

Pip

You might experiment with pickups or amps or signal processors? I did this with picks.

I bought enough picks this year (as a quest to improve my playing) to have paid for another guitar. Do I regret not getting another guitar instead?

No. The ‘picks project’ has been far more useful than any guitar could possibly have been.

PS

If you really, really want to spend lots of money, take up the violin.

Yeah been thinking about getting a good combo for rehearsing… I was looking at a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue but it's kind heavy to lug around…

The Fender Blues Deluxe line is sorta the Squire of the amp world.

I was thinking UPGRADE...consider maybe spending as much on an amp as some of those guitars you have.

Seriously, when you think about it, expensive amps aren't all that expensive. 2000? 3000? if you are talking the top-of-the-line, that's pretty cheap when you consider some guitars are way more than that.

I don't know what's available there for you to shop for in person or play, but maybe it's time to go on a search? Could be fun. Could be an eye opener.

It's just a thought.

Archived