Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie with some questions about a '77 SG Standard

Eydugstr

Hello everyone - I am trying to do some research on my Gibson SG. From what I have learned so far, it's a '77 (serial # 06134422). But I do have some questions, was hoping someone out there might be able to help.

Does anyone have any more information from the serial number, outside of the year? (ie production date?)

On this SG, the neck pickup ring comes right up to the edge of the fretboard. I've seen other years (say like the '61's or '62's) where there is a space. Was this done for tonal reasons, or just an attempt to make it easier to mass produce?

What's the proper name of the type of bridge/saddle this year uses?

Thanks for your time.

I think, but this is just my guess, that the neck joint was changed for stability. The pickup didn´t move, the neck did. As far as I know Gibson had problems with their necks in those days. They changed them from one piece into three piece constructions and moved `em closer to the body. I think that change happened to make them more stable. Maybe they had problems with the wood quality while producing larger numbers than in the 60s. Just my guess. There were rumours about weak, twisted and broken necks, especially on SGs. But I think it´s mainly rumours. Due to the construction they are more likely to break from falling down or over then on a strat. But under playing conditions they will outlive you.

Greetings

Kurt

Thanks for the responses. Basically the guitar dater site confirmed it was a '77 - and said it was built in Kalamzoo or Nashville, nothing else! Mine uses a decal instead of a stamped number, if that triggers any memories or any more info.

TY for the info about the necks. It's something I've always wondered about, having seen the differences.

On the bridge/saddle piece, I read on the bottom it was made in germany. Have also noticed some earlier SG's (like from '73 on up) that used a similar/same style - was there any reason they started/got away from using it?

Thanks again for the responses - have had this guitar for many years now, and getting ready to redo the hardware on it if possible.

You´re right, the bridges on the older Gibsons were made in Germany by Schaller. That also goes for the tuning machines, even if they had Gibson stamped on `em. I don´t know about the new bridges. Schaller is a well known brand for guitar stuff in germany. You may know their strap locks. The factory is close to were I live, but I´ve never been there. The tune-o-matics of my 85 Les Paul and 79 "TheSG" are also Schallers. But my tuners are grovers - also very good quality. But I don´t know if and why they are not using Schaller stuff anymore. If you´re interested in that, check their site. You´ll find lots of parts that look familiar with Gibsons http://schaller-guitarparts.de

Kurt

Very interesting about the '70s necks moved further into the body. My 1979 The SG has this feature, but I am reminded of the saying 'swings and roundabouts'. Stability is gained in one way, but lost in another ! When I look inside the neck pickup rout, there is a large hole drilled straight through into the neck pocket ! In here, you can see the end of the neck tenon, and it is very short. It's approximately 12mm away from the pickup rout.

Mine also has the Schaller long travel bridge that was common on '70s SGs - and was fitted to a few Les Pauls also.

Maybe you could say that it allowed for less precise bridge bush placement, since there was so much adjustment available. With the tunomatic, the bridge bushes were sometimes fitted in the wrong place, and so the holes had to be plugged and re-drilled. Large plastic washers were then fitted to cover up the mistake. Incidentally, the Schaller bridge was very high quality. My 1980 LP Custom also has a Schaller TOM.

IMG_945401-28-2009.jpg

IMG_944701-28-2009.jpg

IMG_943701-28-2009.jpg

IMG_942901-28-2009.jpg

TY very much for the info, Kurt & 80LPC. It's neat to see how the newer schaller stuff looks verus the old. Would also explain why I've seen some others with the same tuning peg but had "Made in Germany" stamped on it (Mine have "Gibson" stamped on them, but outside of that they look to be the same thing.).

80LPC - Yep, that'd be the same exact bride that's on mine. TY for sharing the pics.

Archived