Gibson Brands Forums

Major string buzz (79' LP Custom)

Billybobrus

This is my 4th or 5th guitar, but my 1st Les Paul. I go tit from a reliable source. I just stringed with those new "Ernie Ball Titanium (13-46)." new my E A D G strings all buzz rellt badly, not even when i play any note... It sounds that way on the amp, too. I havent played my guitar since i restringed it, because of this... and its a nice one. Its dissapointing, and i was wondering if it could be because mis hight of bridge, or tail.. or anything else. Im going to buy new strings "Ernie Ball Slinkies (9-46)" or whatever and hope that makes it better. Is there anything i can do right now to fix it before relized the 10 dollers i wasted on those new Titanium strings?

Guitarest is correct. You need the guitar setup for the 13's before it will play and feel right. Also, I know that using Steel wound strings will wear the frets of a guitar faster, so I would imagine that Titanium strings are not good for frets either, but I'm not exactly sure about that. You may want to stick with Nickel Wound strings. Keep it simple.

• 2 months later...

I would try to find out from the previous owner what it was setup for. If you want the heavier gauge string I would take it to a shop and have it setup for them if you don't know how to do it yourself. It could be the nut if you are getting string buzz on open notes . More than likely it will need a neck adjustment for the heavier string check the relief in the neck. On low E string press string down at 1st fret and hold down with your other hand press string down at the 14th fret and see how much clearance you have between the string and 7th fret there should be some clearance between the string and fret if not the neck is straight or more than likely back bowed. If so loosen the truss rod nut until there is clearance. But if you try it mark the nut so you can put it back where it was if need be and only move the nut a quarter turn and check until you have some clearance and see if the buzz quits. Hope this helps you.

thanks for the help met :D
No problem I have had this issue before and my tech showed me basically the same thing I told you to do check the relief in the neck most guitars need a little " hence the gap between string and fret" . I did the adjustment myself and it helped but my LESTER needs a new nut. My problem was with a lighter gauge string, funny how changing the strings does that but it does. By the way did this fix your issue? If not let us know what it took to get the issue under control.. Good luck

Archived