Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Brite Wire

sellen

I finally found the perfect strings for my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. Ernie Ball COBALT hybrid slinkys. .009 to .046. They sound great with the stock 57 classic pups with the Alinco II magnets. I've used (and still do on my other Les Pauls) GHS Boomers. The boomers sound great on my 96 studio and 2012 Zakk Wylde Bulls eye But they are loaded up with EMG 81/85 actives so the boomers work great for high output pups active or passive. The boomers just did NOT work with my 2015 les paul. I tried a bunch of different strings from nickle to steel and coated but I just happy until I tried the Ernie Ball COBALTS. The cobalts react with the magnets in such a way they make it seem like you have a hotter pickup. I did try the cobalts with my active pups but the boomers were better for the hotter pups. If you want more output from a lower output pup try the Ernie Ball Cobalts. Don't get me wrong, It's not going to make a 7.5 kohm pup sound or feel like a 15 kohm pup but the differance in tone, playability and feel is very noticeable. The COBALTS also have a longer life and stay in tune better than most standard strings.

Ernie Ball COBALTS. The cobalts react with the magnets in such a way they make it seem like you have a hotter pickup.

I'd been using Elixir Nano's and/or Cleartones for a few years and decided to give something different a try. Put a set of EB Slinky's on my Dot and "meh". Then I tried the Cobalts. WOW! Huge difference between both the Nano's and Slinky's. Much brighter and crisper, and they last a long time. I've put them on a few of my other guitars since and got the same results. I think I've found a new favorite for now.

I used Brite Wires .009 for years. I finally switched to Ernie Ball because the high E kept snapping on the Brite Wires. That was a long time ago, and I'm sure they may have gotten better by now. I'll have to try another set sometime. I'm using D'Addario EXPs now because they last forever.

They go really cheap in 5 pack where i live (23$)

Always heard bad stuff about 'em, bought them and played them today.

Sounded just fine, nothin' wrong with them so far.

Maybe i feel different tomorrow, and back to EB Slinky [biggrin]

I've been using Brite Wires for some time now. No complaints

Archived