Gibson Brands Forums

Michael Kelly

LPguitarman

I've never owned a Michael Kelly guitar but I spent a weekend playing one once, and it was nice.

I was at a tech conference a "few" years ago and Apple was having a big launch for a new application they were calling Garage Band. Apparently Michael Kelly had sent Apple an electric guitar to use, but the guys running the show didn't play guitar. Long story short I ended up being their guitar player for the launch. As I recall it played nicely - very easy to get around on and fun to play.

That model was electric though. Can't speak to their acoustics specifically. But my impression of the quality was good.

A little more background info:

All guitars are made in Asia, specifically Korea or China. Not too fond of that fact, but I guess Americans aren't the only ones who know how to make guitars. [flapper]

All guitars are made to Tracy Hoeft's & company designs and specifications.

The company was started and still owned by Tracy Hoeft. He didn't think "Hoeft" would look good on guitars as a label, so he named the company after his son Michael and his daughter Kelly. His entire family, including Michael and Kelly are employees of the company.

Guitars are distributed out of Kentucky, individually Set-Up before shipping.

Sound holes for the acoustics are offset and on the side on most models. This lets the wood directly under the strings vibrate for better tone.

I have another question:

When a guitar specifies a veneer top, does that mean it is actually a thin layer of wood, or do they print a wood grain and stick it to the top of the guitar? Just wondering if inexpensive guitars, like possible Michael Kelly (made in Korea)use a cheap method to make a guitar look falsely beautiful.

I've never heard of Michael Kelly but when I used to be on Facebook I was getting several different guitar makers stuff I followed. The two that impressed me the most I guess was Carvin, which most everyone here knows, they are based in California. Then B&G guitars based in Israel which are custom made and a fairly new company I think. B&G started in 2007 when Luthier Kiki Goldstein joined with fellow craftsman Eliran Barashi and artist Avi Goldfinger. Their guitars are handmade and I watched a video of them making the little Sister. Sorry I don't have more, I discontinued Facebook awhile back. I think it was Tel Aviv, Israel. And I almost wanted to buy one. They sound very sweet.

I own a Micheal Kelly Hybrid Special. It's got Rockfield humbucking pickups and a undersaddle piezo pickup that can be infinitely variably blended with the Rockfields using the onboard Fishman powerchip, separated in stereo with a stereo output cable or mono out, and has coil taps on the humbuckers. It is far and away the most versatile guitar I own. The quality is top notch, excellent build quality, nicely finished frets and binding. Great low cost alternative to something like the Taylor T5 series hybrids.

I like mine. On a par, I would say, with Dean and Washburn's foreign made offerings. May use the same Korean factory, probably Samick.

I own a Micheal Kelly Hybrid Special. It's got Rockfield humbucking pickups and a undersaddle piezo pickup that can be infinitely variably blended with the Rockfields using the onboard Fishman powerchip, separated in stereo with a stereo output cable or mono out, and has coil taps on the humbuckers. It is far and away the most versatile guitar I own. The quality is top notch, excellent build quality, nicely finished frets and binding. Great low cost alternative to something like the Taylor T5 series hybrids.

I like mine. On a par, I would say, with Dean and Washburn's foreign made offerings. May use the same Korean factory, probably Samick.

Nice, Do you have the Spalted Maple or the Spalted Burst? How does it sound unplugged as an acoustic guitar?

Nice, Do you have the Spalted Maple or the Spalted Burst? How does it sound unplugged as an acoustic guitar?

Mine has the quilted maple top. The guitar is similar to the Midtown series Gibsons acoustically, not very much acoustic tone at all, but the plugged in acoustic tone is decent. Through an acoustic amp it's very convincing. It's basically a semi-solid body with acoustic tones.

Archived