Gibson Brands Forums

I know this is blasphemy...

FennRx

I'll tell ya, my non-statistically significantly experience has been that when a Historic is great, a great USA doesn't match it. I think there are USAs that are better than a lot of Historics, but the best Historics are better than the best USAs.

I would also add that I think the Traditionals are far and away the best of the USA line. They seem to be the most consistent in my experience. Many a time a Traditional at SA or GC almost followed me home.

I share both your impressions. Those with the best timbers and the best craftmanship seem to be found among the Historics. It's interesting though that the 2013 Traditionals appear to be as consistent on a high quality level as only very few guitar models on the market. There also are only minor variations of tonal qualities depending on weight as I experienced.

• 2 weeks later...

Your conclusion is similar to what i have found. I think mostly the "mojo" those guys speak of is like the guys that buy new corvettes and only drive them twice a yr! Those guitars have all top end tops etc that look phenominal but as far as playing goes....????

Im sure others have and will echo the fact that you can sit down with a nice $1500 range LP and it will sound as good or better then a $3500-$5000 TOP END VOS or what ever. Guitars are all "one offs" to me and some sound great and others not so much regardless of price.

What grinds me is some of the KILLER TOPS on the Epiphone stuff that costs $500 or so compared to Studios, Classics etc that dont come close for three to four times the money! I realize they are overseas made but wood is wood and if they can use that killer top on an import and charge $500 then we should get some better looking tops on the Gibson USA brands in the $1000-$1900 range! Some of the stuff i see price at GC priced at $1999 on sale are plain jane at best!

Anyway, i think a lot of the "mojo" in the R8s etc is like the mojo in the $60k Corvettes etc! [tongue]

Guest Farnsbarns

Your conclusion is similar to what i have found. I think mostly the "mojo" those guys speak of is like the guys that buy new corvettes and only drive them twice a yr! Those guitars have all top end tops etc that look phenominal but as far as playing goes....????

Im sure others have and will echo the fact that you can sit down with a nice $1500 range LP and it will sound as good or better then a $3500-$5000 TOP END VOS or what ever. Guitars are all "one offs" to me and some sound great and others not so much regardless of price.

What grinds me is some of the KILLER TOPS on the Epiphone stuff that costs $500 or so compared to Studios, Classics etc that dont come close for three to four times the money! I realize they are overseas made but wood is wood and if they can use that killer top on an import and charge $500 then we should get some better looking tops on the Gibson USA brands in the $1000-$1900 range! Some of the stuff i see price at GC priced at $1999 on sale are plain jane at best!

Anyway, i think a lot of the "mojo" in the R8s etc is like the mojo in the $60k Corvettes etc! [tongue]

An awful lot of those Epi's have killer veneer as opposed to killer maple caps. Because veneer goes on as is you know how it will look straight away because there's no carving to be done.

Archived