Gibson Brands Forums

Holiday Lights

saturn

I was talking to my daughter as I drove her home from her after school cleaning job yesterday about how I felt we were lucky in the southern hemisphere that Xmas falls in summer and how whereas in the north Xmas would be immediately followed by cold, difficult days for many, down here it is like a prelude or gateway to summer. Many of us work right up to Xmas day then have the one day of presents and overeating... but then its 'game on' and the real holidays begin as people flood to coastal towns for 2-4 weeks of summer holidays. So Xmas day is the beginning of the relaxation, not the whole enchilada. A white Xmas would be pretty, but i'll take the beach, fishing, surfing and long lazy evenings outdoors.

What brought this on was her saying how nice it was at work with everyone being friendly, old ladies bringing in treats for the staff and such like. Yes its commercially hyped, but that means businesses (and the local regular folks who work in them) are getting a boost - I enjoy seeing the old downtown area of this town buzzing as it rarely does for the other 11 months of the year. To see at least 5 ladies in the local independent bookshop working flat out when usually there would be two as I buy presents for the kids to give me. Harder to get a carpark for sure, but our town feels alive and well, and the small businesses get a slice of the pie for once. And even my youngest son with all his problems is pointing out the pretty lights to me and hoping for a Spongebob DVD from santa.

I put all of this up to try to get my husband and I in the Christmas mood. It's hard for us this time of year because of my in-laws being gone and not having children of our own. We really haven't been feeling it the past few years. It's hard every day, but this just magnifies it a bit. At the very least, the time it took me to do all of this was a nice distraction.

20151215_164612.jpg

20151215_164606.jpg

20151215_164540.jpg

20151216_033247.jpg

20151213_234849.jpg

20151213_234812.jpg

20151213_234753.jpg

That's very tasteful and pretty Rosemarie.

Thank you! The ceramic houses were painted by my Mom years ago. She used to set up a little "village" in our dining room and I guess I am now following the tradition (complete with UPS delivery trucks, courtesy of my husband's work! :D )

Maybe I should start building an ark so that we can just sail to OCMD! :D

My mother-in-law moved there when she retired. Unfortunately she passed away in 2006, but it was nice to have a place to stay whenever we felt like taking a trip to OC. I've only been back about 3 times since she passed. Christmas season was actually a great time to visit.

Archived