Gibson Brands Forums

New one...

AnneS

One of the best I've heard in a long time, Anne.....ANYWHERE. Anne, you are so good at writing and performing these "slice of life," introspective, contemplative, mournful songs. I love this kind of stuff. Everything of yours that I hear, I feel like it's written about me and I imagine literally everyone else in here can identify with them also.. Really sweet tunes, my friend..... BTW, if those bass notes are not from a Gibson super jumbo, I won't believe it...lol...Damn, they resonate.

One of the best I've heard in a long time, Anne.....ANYWHERE. Anne, you are so good at writing and performing these "slice of life," introspective, contemplative, mournful songs. I love this kind of stuff. Everything of yours that I hear, I feel like it's written about me and I imagine literally everyone else in here can identify with them also.. Really sweet tunes, my friend..... BTW, if those bass notes are not from a Gibson super jumbo, I won't believe it...lol...Damn, they resonate.

Ditto...Missouri picker said it quite well. Loved the song,great job.

That really is a beautiful song, and very well done too, kinda pulls the listener right into it.....I too, like the songs about everyday people in their everyday lives. After all, that's how most of us are going through this world. [thumbup]

Thanks much, everyone--this one seems to resonate with folks, and that's what it's all about. I definitely hear pedal steel, too, or even something like a concertina. (And of course, who would say no to a cello, even!) I'm not hearing a harmonica, unless it's decidedly quiet and lonesome-sounding. (Not a big harp fan; maybe because, in the open mic world I frequent, they're over-used and not in a good way. FB always uses a nice touch, I will say, though.)

I do very much appreciate the listens and the kind comments.

Larry, that there is my J45; I'm loving the short-scale and the round-core Sunbeams, which feel really good under my chording fingers. [thumbup]

Sal, no problem re the words-here you go:

Crooked Signs

Anne Stieber © 2015

Crooked signs, pointing nowhere

make you wonder who hung 'em there

Washed out bridges, where the roads don't go

take no one nowhere, to and fro

There's a pathway, but it don't go through

just ends up somewhere someone made do

He was self-sufficient, by his own right

ten miles from town or a neighbor's light

Stone foundations, crumbling walls

a ruined homestead, a raven's call

Whoever lived here can't be found

he broke himself when he broke this ground

Now a spirit walks among these trees

flings his regrets along the breeze

And he would warn you, if you came near

shout his sorrows into your ear

Ghosts that wander through a lonely wood

leave clues of sorrow, misunderstood

They're all around you, like last night's dream

can't shake the echo of your own scream

It seems to me the lesson here

is keep your feet where the way is clear

'Cause walking's better than lying down

on a lonely bed or beneath the ground

Just keep on moving, don't delay

and pay attention along way

Don't be troubled when you come upon

those crooked signs and mournful sounds

leave clues of sorrow, misunderstood...

I agree with avery (and everyone else for that matter)

Dobyour lyrics come first anne ? Im imagining they do.

Cello , harp , steel guitar ... Yip , maybe . a chorus maybe ?

Shames me to say anything approaching criticism , which it wasnt meant as.

If only we all had legs like katy musgraves eh ?

Maybe you do!?;

Just saying , was aload of pervs here who were pretending to be so interested in a particular year of her guitar.... :D

And not a lyric mattered

You know who you are !!

Meanwhile , youre writing this stuff.

I agree with avery (and everyone else for that matter)

Dobyour lyrics come first anne ? Im imagining they do.

Cello , harp , steel guitar ... Yip , maybe . a chorus maybe ?

Shames me to say anything approaching criticism , which it wasnt meant as.

If only we all had legs like katy musgraves eh ?

Maybe you do!?;

Just saying , was aload of pervs here who were pretending to be so interested in a particular year of her guitar.... :D

And not a lyric mattered

You know who you are !!

Meanwhile , youre writing this stuff.

Ha! No young legs here, or else I'd be famous by now.

Yep, these lyrics came mostly first, but only after the guitar gave up some parameters for me. Then I went and listened for specifics. I hear what you're saying re a chorus, but I haven't found one yet, though it could still emerge. I'm currently thinking an instrumental bridge--one that goes off on its own, with some of the aforementioned instruments-- could be the ticket.

Working and listening to a random playlist, there's Ryan Adams (with Emmylou) on "Oh My Sweet Carolina." Ready for you to serve that one up for us. Just saying--

A cello or a somber fiddle played between a couple of the verses would be a sweet addition to the atmosphere of the song. Personally, I think the song can stand on its own, but the cello/fiddle would easily fit. I don't think it needs a chorus. To me, a chorus might pull the listener away from the poignant story. There are two verses that follow each other that kind of act like a bridge or transition. They change the direction of the song.

Before these verses the singer is telling us the story. I think these two verses take us beyond the era of the story and the rest is the proverbial "moral of the story." Songs/poems like this are really written at a primitive human level and stress things that are in all of us. Anne has a gift of finding these "human" warts, flaws and then putting them into words.. We tend to see these songs/poems being about someone else, but we're all in there somewhere. You've got to be able to dig deep to find this stuff. Real nice, dark, real writing.

A cello or a somber fiddle played between a couple of the verses would be a sweet addition to the atmosphere of the song. Personally, I think the song can stand on its own, but the cello/fiddle would easily fit. I don't think it needs a chorus. To me, a chorus might pull the listener away from the poignant story. There are two verses that follow each other that kind of act like a bridge or transition. They change the direction of the song.

Before, these verses the singer is telling us the story. I think these two verses take us beyond the era of the story and the rest is the proverbial "moral of the story." Songs/poems like this are really written at a primitive human level and stress things that are in all of us. Anne has a gift of finding these "human" warts, flaws and then putting them into words.. We tend to see these songs/poems being about someone else, but we're all in there somewhere. You've got to be able to dig deep to find this stuff. Real nice, dark, real writing.

Thanks again, Larry (and all). And yes, I agree that a full-out chorus would busy it up too much and might pull the listener away. The little switch on "Ghosts that wander..." indeed makes the transition you note, and so far, that's working for me still. I do think it'd be an added instrumental line or two (maybe just before "Now a spirit walks...") to help break up the slight sameness, verse to verse. I either need to break it up a little, or underscore it with more dynamic vocals.

I appreciate your elucidation--it helps me understand things better.

Fun to think about...I'll let you all know if I find the right add or tweak. Thinking reso and/or cello and/or concertina, if Santa is looking in..[rolleyes].

Ha!

Excellent song Anne.One of your best.One of anyone's best I should say.Very evocative of mood.Really enjoyed it (even with my post Xmas party hangover).

I like it as it stands - structure wise also.

If you had posted it as a Emmy Lou Harris cover I would have thought....yea that Emmy Lou can write a mean song.

Very, very, very good Anne! I like it as is. Maybe an instrumental passage would fit, but that is all . I would not add any more. Personally I tend to like songs without choruses. I like a repeated word or phrase at the end of each verse, ala Dylan or Springsteen.

Lars

Before these verses the singer is telling us the story. I think these two verses take us beyond the era of the story and the rest is the proverbial "moral of the story." Songs/poems like this are really written at a primitive human level and stress things that are in all of us. Anne has a gift of finding these "human" warts, flaws and then putting them into words.. We tend to see these songs/poems being about someone else, but we're all in there somewhere. You've got to be able to dig deep to find this stuff. Real nice, dark, real writing.

Wonderful, wonderful song and performance. Some songs seem best when they aren't cluttered. I suppose if it were being 'produced' for recording a studio version a cello or somber fiddle between 1 or 2 verses and at the end would give it depth. But, a singer/songwriter succeeds or fails with just what (s)he brings to the table himself.

MP - I agree with the 'transition' angle. Some songs, that don't lend themselves to a chorus do really well with a traditional verse, with the melody artfully arranged to sound different but the same.

But, if I had the talent Anne has in her little finger - I'd be qualified to actually know what I was talking about.

Beautiful, hauntingly stark and relevant. Thank you, Anne !

I really appreciate your kindnesses, all.

I'm busy learning the piece now. Funny, to pretty much catch in a first draft the essence of the song upon its arrival but then still to have to go back and learn it from scratch like any other song that I'm looking add to the repertoire.

Not complaining...

Archived