Gibson Brands Forums

Billy Powell (R.I.P.)

suburude63

Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboardist dies at Florida home

01/28/2009 5:00 PM, AP

Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboard player Billy Powell, who played on such hits as "Sweet Home Alabama" and survived the 1977 plane crash that killed three band members, died Wednesday. He was 56.

Powell called 911 in this Jacksonville suburb saying he was having trouble breathing. Rescue crews performed CPR, but he was pronounced dead about an hour later, Orange Park Police Lt. Mark Cornett said.

Powell, who had a history of heart problems, missed a Tuesday appointment with his doctor for a cardiac evaluation, and a heart attack is suspected as the cause of death.

Now he is a "Free Bird"

I read that this morning, too

I had all their albums (original band) and really liked his playing style. I gravitated away from their popular hits and more toward what I thought was their better stuff - give me back my bullets - great song, ballad of curtis lowe. when I think of billy powell, I'll always immediately hear his work on Call Me The Breeze. fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

that is so sad. I bet john lee walker is taking that hard he is friends with them and toured with them. I wonder if that is why I haven't read him on here for so long?? I lurk more thn I post and I miss reading him here. My prayers go out to billy powells family

Archived