Gibson Brands Forums

Clean or Dirty - how do you play yours?

windhoek

I'm finding it hard to believe that this bunch of humbucker loving, pedal stomping, tube amp pushing guitar players overwhelming play "Clean".

I'm wondering if what I call clean and you call clean are the same thing.

Hmmmmmm :-k

I like to have both a clean sound like Peter Green with the ability to alter it to more of a Paul Kossoff/Gary Moore distorted sound but I don't like using any pedals. As you can imagine, I'm never completely satisfied, but who is? One of the best insights into getting a great tone is this by Joe Bonamassa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkGCvLstPrE

Ian

I might come off as snobbish, but I like good amps, REALLY like REALLY good amps.

As such, I like power tube distortion. I am so addicted to it that I actually still have the vintage Jensens in my amps, and I DO (have) blown them. I know I shouldn't, but I can't quit. I been eating more salads, though.

I don't know where the line is, between dirty and clean. I know the difference, but going from one to another is just a matter of how the strings get stroked, or a turn of the volume knob. A "clean" setting of a P-90 Special into a Deluxe Reverb can easily sound meaner than a pedal, even if it ain't distorting.

I guess that's to say, my habit is how good it sounds, as opposed to dirty vs clean. I don't mean to say I don't (or won't) get the pedal out on occasion and crank the dirt.

This all, is playing at home, of corse. Live or rehearsal is completely different.

I'm finding it hard to believe that this bunch of humbucker loving, pedal stomping, tube amp pushing guitar players overwhelming play "Clean".

Hmmmmmm :-k

Yeah, ideally, one's amp(s) should be set for their "sweet spot" of warm, natural tube overdrive, and

sustain, and be able to "clean up" with just a roll off, on the guitar's volume knob! Without any "dirt" pedals,

whatsoever. Add pedals, for very specific effects (dirt or otherwise), but NOT for one's main

tone! IMHO, as always.

CB

Yeah, ideally, one's amp(s) should be set for their "sweet spot" of warm, natural tube overdrive, and

sustain, and be able to "clean up" with just a roll off, on the guitar's volume knob!

Yes. I've had this convo so many times with friends. A buddy of mine constantly talks about his clean tone and to him that means Malcom Young. I previously referenced "The Wind Cries Mary" as my own "clean" tone goal. But for some it's much cleaner I think.

I've learned that if the sound can't be cleaned up with the guitars volume knob or my attack it's not for me. Ideally I like to be able to strum/pick softly and hear each string. If I hit it harder it should crunch a bit. If I can control it with my hands, that's the sound for me.

But I still like pedals to take it over the top. (Sorry purists) [tongue]

Yes. I've had this convo so many times with friends. A buddy of mine constantly talks about his clean tone and to him that means Malcom Young. I previously referenced "The Wind Cries Mary" as my own "clean" tone goal. But for some it's much cleaner I think.

I've learned that if the sound can't be cleaned up with the guitars volume knob or my attack it's not for me. Ideally I like to be able to strum/pick softly and hear each string. If I hit it harder it should crunch a bit. If I can control it with my hands, that's the sound for me.

But I still like pedals to take it over the top. (Sorry purists) [tongue]

Hey, I use pedals, too. Judiciously, and (hopefully) in a tasteful manner. [biggrin] But, never for basic tone.

CB

I like to have both a clean sound like Peter Green with the ability to alter it to more of a Paul Kossoff/Gary Moore distorted sound but I don't like using any pedals. As you can imagine, I'm never completely satisfied, but who is? One of the best insights into getting a great tone is this by Joe Bonamassa:

Ian

great video, Thanks!

Ian

Cheers Ian, that's great video as I now know I don't need to get up and faff about with amp knobs whenever I want a different sound from my guitar :)

It's interesting, how so many "Classic" rock and blues tones, were really a LOT "cleaner," than some folks

(now) seem to think. Joe's video shows how judicious use of tone and volume controls, and a "cranked" amp,

can get you a lot of tonal variety, and differing amounts of distortion/clean tones, as well.

The "secret" back then (and, now), was the amp volume's "Sweet Spot," for both natural tube overdrive, and decent

sustain, then cleaning it up, at the guitar! Except for the Wah Wah, and certain other specifically tasked pedals,

or effects gained by going direct, to the board, a LOT of the sweetest tones, we still crave, were done with just

the amp, and the guitar alone. [thumbup]

I'm not so "luddite" that I won't use pedals, especially for certain effects, but I'll never rely on them,

alone, for my basic "tone." That has to come (for me) through the guitar and amp, alone! [thumbup]

CB

Before I was Marshall guy, I have started with a JCM900 which I found amazing at that time, then I had a VHT Pitbull that I hated, always looking for a good drive channel amp.

But now, I am fully happy with my tone Fender clean channel, and 2 overdrive pedals, one light, the Tone City King of Blues (kind of King of tone clone) and for a more powerfull overdrive, a BB Preamp, happyness found :)

Archived