Gibson Brands Forums

Whiskey and You

MorrisrownSal

I recorded this dry in my office with my Gibson J45. Its one track, but I had to re do it a few times: i would get pitchy or get the phrasing wrong. I think it's better now, but it still has warts, and there aint a man alive who could sound like this Stapleton guy.

Anyway hope you like it:

https://soundcloud.com/sal-from-chatham/whiskey-and-you

Really sweet. I like your job on the choruses. Hard to sing and you nailed them. You've got a pretty convincing country accent too! I've just been strumming to a Tim McGraw song that I like , and it's fun to throw that country accent on, for someone like me who's really not from the country.

This song and Chris have both been getting a lot of talk recently with the release of his new album, and it is understandable. The embedded video below is my first experience with this song. I didn't realize that Jason didn't write it. I'm out of touch with the Nashville scene so Chris Stapleton wasn't on my radar when I first heard this song in early 2014. Thanks to everyone for exposing me to this new artist and not so new songwriter.

Excellent version you have going here Sal. I really enjoyed giving it a listen or 12, maybe more. I may have lost count. I have ambitions of learning this as well and may well share that with the community when I do. Until then, have a listen to the first version of the song I was exposed to. I think you will find some similarities with Stapleton's version.

https://youtu.be/MUdQ__iinTI

JRPLefty

What a very nice cover. Been working on it lately, and i wish i could sing it as nice as you do. Not being english speaker probably does not help either.

I like the way you strum chords as well throughout the song, it reminds the original while keeping your own touch to it.

If i may suggest, at the end, for the 2 last "That's the difference between whiskey and you", i think Chris uses chords are D, A, Bm, A, G for the 1st one, and then he resumes the usual D, A, D for the 2nd one.

I like this rotation as it calls the end of the song.

Archived