Gibson Brands Forums

Strings

djw171

Just thought I'd pass this on for anyone who may want to try them.

I've tried various strings by various manufacturers on both my Southern Jumbo and the J15. I gig quite a lot. Solo acoustic, sets are long and hot most of the time and they get some hammer. I settled into the Gibson PB Masterbuilt Premiums .012 - .053 for quite a bit but then I tried Martin Marquis PB .012-.054 and I REALLY like these. The tone is superb to my ears and I like the silk wrap on the ball ends.

Was just wondering what any of you guys who gig regular use?

Also, how many actually string makers are there? I know Martin make their own, D'Addario, Ernie Ball..Who makes Gibsons?

Merry Christmas guys.

Dave

Merry Christmas, and thank you.

I typically really prefer Gibson Masterbilt PB Lights on all my Gibsons. I'll share something here though... I have tried Martin Retros Lights a few times before, and always took them off after two weeks. I didnt like them. Anyways, I had one set left and I put them on my J50 two weeks ago. Again I dint like the tone - too brash and metallic. Fast forward two weeks... They have mellowed and as each day passes I like them more!

Anyways, I will try you suggestion in a few months...

Uh-oh, string talk.

I know Sal had been mentioning his preference for the Gibson Masterbuilt PB's for some time now. Maybe there just is a preference for the Phos Bronze, as the Martin Strings page really doesn't mention anything about PB for the Retro's, just nickel.

There is a freebie set of Masterbuilt PB's laying around here somewhere; I'll give 'em a try after the Pyramid Western Folk PB's, which are next up on the string test parade. What the hell, I'll try the Martin Marquis too.

Good Morning Yes I use Gibson PB Masterbuilts on my J45 . seems these work best for me , I change them once a month and clean with a new chamois leather after playing also I find that the chamois leather is really good for cleaning away the dull forearm patch on the guitar top after use . However I am thinking of trying the new Santa Cruz strings

+1 for the Martin Marquis. I keep things uncomplicated and put them on everything. Every once in awhile I grab a set of John Pearse 80/20 they are also very good but not worth the extra few bucks (to my ears). Can't beat the Marquis for less than $5 a set.

Sorry, can't help you to sort out the manufacturers.

Best i found so far is Martin SP 80/20 Lights. Non-SP are correct, but not as good as SP.

I find these SP 80/20 to give richer bass/med, more woody tone, they are great from start even new, and this richness lasts longer than masterbuilt gibsons 80/20.

The feel on slides (squeeezzzz) disappears after 1 or 2 weeks.

I typically use Martin SPs (lights) on my guitars. They sound good, last a long time, plus I got some 30 sets of them on sale a couple years ago. All the string talk in here has me interested in trying some Martin Marquis, so I'll give them a shot somewhere along the line. Might try some Pyramids also.,

Or an emergency tow rope.

I doubt I could tell you what's on most of my guitars, that's how often I change them. I think Martin sent me a free set of coated strings and I put them on the SJ about 3 years ago. I just don't wear strings out is all.

Just thought I'd pass this on for anyone who may want to try them.

I've tried various strings by various manufacturers on both my Southern Jumbo and the J15. I gig quite a lot. Solo acoustic, sets are long and hot most of the time and they get some hammer. I settled into the Gibson PB Masterbuilt Premiums .012 - .053 for quite a bit but then I tried Martin Marquis PB .012-.054 and I REALLY like these. The tone is superb to my ears and I like the silk wrap on the ball ends.

Was just wondering what any of you guys who gig regular use?

Also, how many actually string makers are there? I know Martin make their own, D'Addario, Ernie Ball..Who makes Gibsons?

Merry Christmas guys.

Dave

Did you try the Gibson J-200 strings? They, too, sport silk-wrapped ends, and are slow-wound on top of that. I have .012 gauge of those on my small jumbo, and they sound fantastic. I have yet to try the Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze Premium strings on my Epiphone Texan.

Gibson strings are made to their specifications at the D'Addario factories.

Archived