Gibson Brands Forums

59 tribute pickups

gruffydd3

I've managed to buy a set of Gibson 59 tribute pickups that were removed from a guitar. Am I right in thinking the two pickups are the same? If there is a different bridge and neck pickup how do I tell them apart?

They should be different... don't mean to point out the obvious but are there stickers or anything on the underside? I don't have experience with the 59 Tributes, but I would assume that there would be a 'B' and 'N' identifier. Another way to differentiate is by resistance, whichever one registers higher with an ohm-meter will be the bridge pickup.

Nope, not different at all.

They both have the same spacing between the poles, just measure the resistance and put the one with higher level in the bridge position.

But they should read almost the same, at least that is what I experienced with 3 of them.

Oh, and congratulations those are really nice pickups!

As Mr. C.O. Jones said, the 59 Tribs have exactly the same specs--neck and bridge--so it really shouldn't matter... but if you can measure their output and one or the other is just slightly hotter than the other (they should both be right around the official 7.65K ohms spec) then I'd put that one in the bridge regardless of what sticker was on them. If they're the exact same... you can't go wrong. :)

And congrats on the find... 59 Tribs are my favorite Gibson pickups... really outstanding pieces. You'll love 'em! [thumbup]

Archived