Gibson Brands Forums

Thought I'd show it off here

duane v

My uncle passed away early this year, and was an musician and he owns 1958 LPC, 1955 Martin D28 and a 1959 Standard..... I got first pick of the guitar I wanted and chose the 59 Standard.... I posted the guitar on my facebook page about three weeks ago and played it at a gig this last friday.

So I thought I would share it with you folks here at the Gibby forum.

59_zpsjms4mz0r.jpg

564_zpsq6eap8gn.jpg

592_zpsq1jrn5j4.jpg

593_zpsgs7vactm.jpg

Wow that's one of the finest examples ive seen...

Im sure you will use it as it is meant to be and carry on the guitars legacy in his name [thumbup]

Thanks Rabs.... She's is in nice condition.... Certainly the sun light hides certain things.....

I'm not sure if she is completely original..... I think the tuners and the switch tip may have been changed out at some point..... But I really wouldnt know for sure

Sorry for your loss Duane. It's nice to see that the guitar went to a good home. Based on looks and historical relevance that is probably the most incredible NGD that this forum has ever seen

How do you rate the feel and sound?

Thanks mang..... To be honest it feels similar to my 2013 Trad, except the Trad stays in tune much better..... It feels like a Gibson.... No other way I can put it really.

Wow... I didnt realize a list like that existed.... Ya it's on the list

I know, its mad isn't it.. Farns posted it a short while ago...

So do they have pictures of your one? I havnt looked through each one (yet ;)) ( I do wonder where the hell they got such a collection of info and pics from?)

It feels like a Gibson.... No other way I can put it really.

Well that's definitely not a bad thing [biggrin] Shouldn't be too hard to get it to stay in tune. Maybe a good excuse to put some tulips on there

What's your take on the pickups? I'd imagine it's pretty dreamy sounding. Don't tell me it sounds the same as your Trad!

I know, its mad isn't it.. Farns posted it a short while ago...

So do they have pictures of your one? I havnt looked through each one (yet ;)) ( I do wonder where the hell they got such a collection of info and pics from?)

I don't see how they could have a pic, since my uncle didn't post on any internet boards and i believe he's the original owner..... The serial log has the serial number, but you can't click on those numbers for some reason. And the album doesnt have my uncles serial number listed..... weird

Well that's definitely not a bad thing [biggrin] Shouldn't be too hard to get it to stay in tune. Maybe a good excuse to put some tulips on there

What's your take on the pickups? I'd imagine it's pretty dreamy sounding. Don't tell me it sounds the same as your Trad!

I'm not ready to remove the strings yet.... Sentimental reasons...... But when the time comes I'll save the strings, and if my Luither decides it needs new tuners, I'll throw them on.

As for tone, I've always been partial to the Tim Shaw era pups and 491's..... The best I can describe the tone is a hollow chimy tone... sometimes it makes your teeth hurt a little because it has the ringy piercing type tone to it.... But it's warm

I'm not ready to remove the strings yet.... Sentimental reasons...... But when the time comes I'll save the strings, and if my Luither decides it needs new tuners, I'll throw them on.

As for tone, I've always been partial to the Tim Shaw era pups and 491's..... The best I can describe the tone is a hollow chimy tone... sometimes it makes your teeth hurt a little because it has the ringy piercing type tone to it.... But it's warm

Oooohhhh. I'm drooling based on that description. WOW. You know how to cut to the core of me [laugh]

I totally understand and respect your desire to keep it how it is. Good on you.

Wow Duane. Amazing guitar. Sorry to hear about your uncle, but it is nice that you got to keep something of his that meant something.

I kinda had a similar situation last year when I inherited my friend's R7. But damn, you inherited the real deal, not a reissue! I'm surprised that you took it out to a gig. Be careful with that.

Firstly; sorry for your loss of your uncle, Duane. Without knowing him, I can still tell he was a man of great tastes, thanks to his collection, and I've no doubt he was stellar in every other fashion.

That is quite the heirloom, too; such a gorgeous instrument that has come to your possession.

And get that thing over to Collectors Choice! msp_biggrin.gif

Archived