Gibson Brands Forums

Thought I'd show it off here

duane v

Sorry to hear the news Duane regarding how you came by such an heirloom.

As Rabs says - that is some burst. It is definitely one of the best ones I've seen. So when are Gibson going to do a "Collector's Reissue" of it? [biggrin]

If my uncle died, I think I would be devastated. I'm not sure even a '59 burst would take the edge off.

Uncles are the best. Uncles with a '59 Gibson?: priceless.

One of the most shocking threads I have ever read here on these forums.

Thanks Rabs.... She's is in nice condition.... Certainly the sun light hides certain things.....

I'm not sure if she is completely original..... I think the tuners and the switch tip may have been changed out at some point..... But I really wouldnt know for sure

Yea, of corse the tuners aren't original. But they ARE original Grovers, which to me, are pretty original itself. I don't think any Gibson that was actually used as a "player" would have survived the 70's without having these installed.

I am not sure I would change them. But I haven't faced this delima in a long time. OK, never.

"Original" to me, means how a guitar survived with mods through it's own history. I would imagine original to you might be how your uncle played it.

"Original" to me, means how a guitar survived with mods through it's own history. I would imagine original to you might be how your uncle played it.

That's a good point. I'd likely leave it as is. The fact that is is one of only 643 guitars made and survived in that condition for 56 years is quite an accomplishment! Amazing piece of inheritance, Duane. [thumbup]

Wow, that is truly amazing. Sorry to hear about your loss, but I'm glad that you can carry on his love of music. I'd hate to see it go to someone who couldn't appreciate it.

So how did your uncle obtain it in the first place?

Thanks all of you.

I believe he told me he purchased the instrument new at a music store in Trinidad Colorado..... That's where he also purchased his Martin.

The guitar will always be played..... That's what they are meant for..... My uncle understood the value of the instrument, and told all of us if we felt the need to sell, to feel comfortable in doing so. But I'm going to hold on to it until I'm no longer part of this earth and pass it down to my nephew.

When you have as many Gibson's as I do, they all become part of a stable, and it's really difficult to like one over another, because they all have their individual vibe to them. But having a 59 in my possession certainly puts my stable in a different category.... But when the novelty of it all will wears off, it will be another lady in my stable.

Wow. You have realized what most of us can/will only dream of. For a 56 year old guitar it's in amazingly excellent condition, you should try to get a hold of Vic DaPra, maybe he'll put it in his 'Burst Believers' book...believe the 3rd volume...I bet he'd drool over that guitar...well, maybe not DROOL, but I bet it would wind up in his book...that's a f--kin' score and a half!

Edit: ya know those tuners would probably hold tune better if they were tightened up a little, mine used to slip a lot until I tightened the shaft screw that the bean's attached to...God man, those are original Grovers...they're worth a mint by themselves...

Archived