Gibson Brands Forums

2012 Standard Tuner Question

8OchocCougar8

Guys - new to the forum - in the market for my first LP. Looking at a 2012 Standard. The guitar has traditional grover tuners not the locking tuners I was expecting based on website feature specs. Did they make them with both? If not, is this a likely after market mod - it's not something I would have thought would get changed out but ... )guitar's in a store so I can't ask the owner for the story)? Or is this potentially some kind of "red flag" that it's either not a 2012 or not a Standard or some other weirdness (it's got a "Standard" plate obv, the serial number is from March 2012 and the headstock is stamped 2012) . Thanks for any help / advice you can offer.

Ocho

Take some pictures and send an E-Mail with the serial number to Gibson. Normally they can and will send you a reply with the exact model name of your guitar etc. Eventually you can already send your concerns because of the non locking tuners with your email...

Upon closer inspection you could see that the tuners had been changed out - everything else seemed to check out as expected but I took the "cowardly" way out and got something I knew for sure what i was getting - bought a new 2016 Standard T. Looks, feels, and sounds great - haven't noticed any of the fit / finish issues I'd read about. Now i'm a full fledged member of the community! Thanks again guys for the quick help.

Archived